The Chartered Manager Degree Apprenticeship (CMDA) is for professional managers who take lead responsibility for people, projects, operations and/or services to deliver long term organisational success. It is applicable to professional managers from all sectors - the private, public or third sector - and all sizes of organisation.
This apprenticeship has been designed to provide access to development opportunities for as wide a range of individuals as possible. This includes individuals who are at the start of their career and who wish to become professional managers and achieve Chartered Manager status, as well as those who may already have developed practical experience but who wish to develop their theoretical understanding of management skills further.
On successful completion participants will gain Chartered Manager Status (CMgr MCMI) and will be awarded a CMI Level 5 Diploma and a BA (Honours) Professional Practice in Management degree.
We created our CMDA by working with employers, the Chartered Management Institute (CMI) and other higher education providers. This partnership ensures the programme produces managers with relevant, up-to-date industry knowledge.
If you have 15 or more potential apprentices, we can tailor the programme to your business.
Course length and entry requirements
The course typically takes three and a half years to complete. However, every apprentice is different and it will depend on their previous experience.
Most candidates will have A levels (or equivalent) or existing, relevant Level 3 qualifications.
We may also consider other relevant experience for candidates who are already working and have some management experience.
The usual entry requirements are
- GCSE (or equivalent) mathematics and English language at grade C or grade 4 or above – plus one of the following
- 120 UCAS points including at least 64 points from two A levels or equivalent BTEC National qualifications
- 112 UCAS points from three A levels or equivalent BTEC National qualifications.
- other equivalent qualifications, e.g. Access, Foundation Course
Participants must have English, Maths and ICT at Level 2, (GCSE Grade C or Grade 4 or equivalent) or a commitment to achieving these qualifications at the same time as studying the Level 5 apprenticeship.
Benefits for your business
Our CMDA helps you
- attract and retain the best young talent
- establish a clear progression route for your current employees
- foster skills, creativity and loyalty in your employees
- access cutting-edge facilities and our team of world-class experts
- develop the latest management techniques and skills in your business
- improve your employees’ confidence and professional competence
- plan projects for your employee that benefit everyone.
“Designing the Chartered Management Degree Apprenticeships in collaboration with Sheffield Hallam has allowed us to develop a bespoke programme to address specific higher-level skills gaps. We have found that the combination of practical, commercial experience at Nestlé and academic excellence at Sheffield Hallam is giving young people the skills that they need to become successful. It's a great way for us to grow and develop our future business leaders.”
Charlotte Mummery, Head of Academy Talent Acquisition at Nestlé UK & Ireland
Find out more about how higher and degree apprenticeships can have a positive impact on your business. You can also read about funding and incentives or explore other useful information, including policies and FAQs.
Get in touch
Sheffield Hallam University is not responsible for the content of external websites.