Project Director: Angus McCabe (University of Birmingham) / Rob Macmillan (CRESR)
Local Trust has commissioned in-depth research to look how communities across England respond to COVID-19 and how they recover. The research, undertaken by a team of researchers led by the Third Sector Research Centre (TSRC) at the University of Birmingham, looks at how 26 different communities fare during and after the coronavirus crisis. The findings will provide insight into the impact of unexpected demands or crisis on local communities, and the factors that shape their resilience, response and recovery. The research is addressing the following questions:
- How do communities react to, cope with and recover from major crises?
- What have communities done in reaction to the COVID-19 outbreak and how does this compare with community reactions to other crises?
- What support do communities need to make an effective response to COVID-19?
- What support do communities need to recover effectively from the impact of COVID-19?
- How do Big Local communities differ from non-Big Local communities in their response to COVID-19, their recovery from it and their support needs?
- How do communities in ‘left behind’ areas differ from the other communities in the sample in their response to COVID-19, their recovery from it and their support needs?
Monthly research briefings