Culture Connect Peer Mentoring Scheme
Join Sheffield Hallam’s biggest intercultural peer mentoring scheme to meet people from diverse backgrounds and make the most of your time in Sheffield!
Culture Connect runs from October to April (semester one and two), and helps new international students settle into university life by connecting them with returning students.
New students, become a mentee
As a new international student, you can get help settling into university life by requesting to have regular one-to-one chats with an experienced student mentor. You can use this service as many times as you want while studying at Sheffield Hallam.
We’ll also allocate you a mentoring group on Microsoft Teams, led by a Super Mentor. You’ll get the opportunity to socialise with other students at fortnightly fun and informative Culture Connect Socials events.
Mentees can sign-up here.
Returning students, become a mentor
Are you interested in supporting new international students to settle into university life, whilst boosting your own personal/professional development? Have you completed at least one semester at Sheffield Hallam? If so, we recommend you apply to become a mentor!
You’ll be allocated a mentoring group on Microsoft Teams, led by a Super Mentor. You’ll have regular one-to-one chats with new students upon request. You’ll also be invited to attend fortnightly scheme-wide Culture Connect Socials with other members.
It’s a great opportunity to:
- get to know a diverse group of students and make new connections
- develop your cultural awareness and learn about different perspectives
- improve your listening and communication skills
- prepare for work in diverse organisations and add to your CV, which is important in today’s globalised workplace
- complete the Global Citizenship Portfolio, which will feature on your exit transcript if you are an undergraduate student. Postgraduates will receive a certificate
- upon completion of the Portfolio you’ll gain eligibility for the Gold Hallam Award, which is recognised by employers and announced at your graduation
Mentors can sign up here. In October, you’ll be invited to complete mandatory training to help you understand the scheme structure and your mentoring role.
For more information email the International Experience Team at HallamHelp@shu.ac.uk