Talk to a student mentor
Join Sheffield Hallam’s biggest peer mentoring scheme to connect with students from diverse backgrounds and make the most of your time in Sheffield.
Get help settling into university life and meet friends from around the world, by booking in for a chat with a current student mentor (once you have been allocated a mentoring group), and coming along to Culture Connect Social.
As an international student you can use this service as many times as you want while studying at Sheffield Hallam.
Culture Connect Social Events
Every fortnight members of the Culture Connect scheme meet up to chat and socialise, and take part in a variety of activities. International students are welcome to come along to meet each other, Mentors and Super Mentors.
Everyone is welcome!
Culture Connect Social - see what's on!
Become a mentor
If you are a current or experienced student interested in supporting international students in Sheffield, would like to boost your personal and professional development, and have completed at least one semester at Hallam, you are eligible to apply to become a mentor.
This intercultural peer mentoring scheme helps international students settle into university life and meet friends from around the world by connecting them with returning students.
This is a great opportunity to:
- get to know a diverse group of students and make new connections
- develop your cultural awareness and learn about different perspectives
- attend networking and social activities with other members
- improve your listening and communication skills
- prepare for work in diverse organisations and add to your CV, which is important in today’s globalised workplace
- complete the Global Citizenship Portfolio, which will feature on your exit transcript if you are an undergraduate student. Postgraduates will receive a certificate
- upon completion of the Portfolio you’ll gain eligibility for the Gold Hallam Award, which is recognised by employers and announced at your graduation
Who can join
All students (from any course, level of study, college and nationality) who have completed at least one semester at Sheffield Hallam are welcome to apply to become a mentor.
How to apply
The scheme runs during October - April (semester one and two).
Applications to become a mentor for 2022/23 are open now. Once you apply, you’ll need to complete online training and attend an induction, in order to understand the scheme structure and your role.
For more information email CultureConnect@shu.ac.uk