Global Citizenship Portfolio
The Global Citizenship Portfolio recognises your hard work in developing your intercultural competencies and global outlook while studying at Sheffield Hallam University.
Completing the Global Citizenship Portfolio will help you develop skills and evidence that
- you are able to engage with different values systems wherever you encounter them
- you can communicate effectively across cultures, and in different cultural contexts
- you have understanding of how your actions and those of others can have global implications
This year, all sessions and activities will be hosted online. There are two routes for you to choose from. The standard route, where you will engage with a number of global topics, and a themed route where you will dive deeper into the topic of ‘Fake News’.
For Step 2, you will attend online interactive sessions on 2 of the following topics
• Global Warming
• Cultural Intelligence
Please note, topics are subject to change.
‘Fake News’ Route
Did Donald Trump invent fake news and is it going to help him win the presidency again? What is news actually and how do journalists make it? How do you spot fake stories? How to deal with your Grandma sharing fake news on Facebook?
Come and find out in these four interactive sessions with Dr. Lada Price, a journalism lecturer in the Media, Arts and Communication department. You will get to hear a brief history of fake news, what role media plays in our society, how journalists are covering the coronavirus pandemic and much more. Take part in discussion, try your hand at writing your own fake stories and play some fun games while you learn.
Please note, this route is aimed at non-journalism students.
For your practical intercultural project (step 3) you can choose to take part in any of the projects listed below:
- If you are an undergraduate student, the module will be recorded on your exit transcript as ‘Global Citizenship Portfolio’
- If you are a postgraduate student, you will receive the Global Citizenship Portfolio Completion Certificate
Registration for the Global Citizenship Portfolio 2020/21 is now open. Once you have registered, we will send you further information about the steps you will need to complete.
Completing the project can also count as an activity towards achieving The Hallam Award.