Information for Student visa holders

  1. MyHallam
  2. Support at Hallam
  3. International Experience
  4. Information for Student visa holders

Information for Student visa holders

Your responsibilities as a Student visa holder

You must:

  • Regularly check your student (SHU) email account
  • Respond to University emails, letters and phone calls promptly
  • Keep your passport and visa up-to-date
  • Inform UK Visas and Immigration if your contact details change - please complete the online form at


You must inform the University if...

  • Your contact details change - for example, your phone number, address or email address - please update your details via My Student Record
  • You get a new passport, visa or BRP card
  • You change your immigration status to a different visa type


You must engage fully with your studies:

  • You must attend all lectures, seminars and all other study sessions
  • You must submit all coursework and attend all examinations and assessments
  • If you are studying a PhD or Doctorate course, you must attend monthly supervision meetings
  • If you are working on your dissertation or major project you must engage with your supervisor
  • If you are on a work placement, you must attend your work placement in full and notify your employer if you will be absent for any reason. The University will contact your employer every month to check your attendance

The University will monitor your engagement with your studies.

Failure to engage fully with your studies may lead to your withdrawal from your course.

If so, we would cease sponsorship of your visa and you would have to leave the UK.


The University's responsibilities as a Student visa Sponsor

The University must:

    • Ensure all international students have valid permission to study
    • Keep up-to-date copies of all international students' passports, visas or residence permits
    • Hold up-to-date contact details for students including home address, term-time address, email address and telephone number(s)
    • Monitor all Student visa holders' engagement with their studies
    • Cease sponsorship, with UKVI, of any Student visa holder who fails to satisfactorily engage with their studies. This will mean you are withdrawn from your course.
    • Notify UKVI of any Student visa holder who:
                  - fails to enrol
                  - defers their study to a later date
                  - suspends their study, takes a break-in-study or temporarily withdraws
                  - transfers to a different course
                  - starts a work placement as part of their course
                  - completes their course earlier than originally expected
                  - withdraws or is excluded for any reason
                  - changes to a different immigration category


    Work restrictions and work placements

    Your Student visa permits you to work part-time in addition to your studies.

    However, you must never work more than 20 hours-per-week during term-time or more than 10 hours-per-week if studying a pre-sessional English course or International Foundation Programme.

    This applies to any type of work, whether it is paid or unpaid.

    Before starting any part-time role, you must obtain a letter confirming your visa status and your permission to work in the UK, to give to your employer. An employer letter can be download from the Working Part-time During your Studies page.


    Does your course include a work placement?

    If so, you must provide your College Placement / Employability Team with details of the start and end dates of your placement and the employer's contact details before you start your work placement.


    Requesting an Authorised Absence

    You must notify Hallam Help urgently if you need to be absent from study for any reason.

    You may be able to request an Authorised Absence for a short period in an emergency situation without affecting your visa.

    If you need a longer break, you may need to suspend your studies and return at a later date.


    Who to contact for advice and support



    Cancel event

    Are you sure you want to cancel your place on Saturday 12 November?