The Sheffield Multimodal Imaging Centre
The Sheffield Multimodal Imaging Centre (SMIC) is a leading research and development facility, bringing together industry-recognised equipment and expertise in biosciences, health and materials.
Scanning, imaging and microscopy
SMIC gives businesses working in health and advanced manufacturing access to the latest scanning, imaging, advanced microscopy and related analytical technologies, so they can test, innovate and enhance their products.
The centre is equipped with state-of-the-art instrumentation for a range of imaging modalities, including
- Transmission Electron Microscopy
- Scanning Electron Microscopy
- Mass Spectrometry Imaging
- Computed Tomography
- Raman Spectroscopy
- 3D Surface Scanning
- Confocal Microscopy
- Transcranial Doppler Imaging
- Ultrasound Imaging
- Infrared Spectroscopy
- Digital Image Correlation
- Image Processing/Artificial Intelligence
What we offer
- Collaborative R&D developing bio and advanced materials with industry partners.
- Cross-disciplinary collaborations developing and testing advanced materials with, for example, novel and innovative properties and applications.
- Testing and advisory services to deliver applied, company defined, responsive solutions at a scale, proportionate to the product and process innovation needs of enterprises, including those in the Sheffield City Region.
Working with Sheffield Hallam
Sheffield Hallam is redeveloping its city campus, improving access to all our research facilities for business use. Some of our current customers include SCR, Tinsley Bridge, JRI Orthopaedics, B. Braun, Sky Chemicals, Rejuvetech, and Ceramsys.
This project is part-funded by the European Regional Development Fund.