Your SHUcard is used for identification and building access across campus. From 31 May 2023, it will no longer be used to pay for catering, print and technical services and therefore we encourage you to manage your balance carefully, making sure your balance is used before this date.
What you need to know
- SHUcard will no longer be accepted as a payment tool from 31 May 2023.
- You should plan to spend your outstanding balance, and any loyalty points before this date, and avoid topping it up any further.
- If you are unable to use your balance, you can request a refund via our Refund Request form . We'll process any refund requests after 31 May 2023 to enable you to keep using your card for payment.
- Any leftover balances not used or refunded will be donated to the Hallam Fund. You can learn more about what the Hallam Fund does to support students who are most in need.
- From the summer of 2023 we'll be introducing new ways to pay on campus based on feedback collected by the Students' Union.
- If you've set up an automatic balance top up, you should disable this now to avoid the balance increasing.
Terms and conditions
We’re notifying all SHUcard holders of changes to our terms and conditions. These will come into effect on 14 January 2023.
Notice of termination (PDF, 137.1KB)
Download terms and conditions (PDF, 169.1KB)
Where can I use my SHUcard?
- All food and drink outlets on campus until 31 May 2023
- The Print Shop (level 1 Adsetts)
- Sheffield Hallam Active Gym
- Research and Innovation Office
- STA and SS&H resources rooms for all course materials 31 May 2023
How do I top up?
We encourage you to use up any remaining balance and only top up if needed for printing or technical resources until 31 May 2023. If you still need to top up, you can do so securely online using a debit or credit card.
How to request a refund
If you don’t think you can spend your balance by 31 May 2023, and would prefer to request a refund, you might want to request a refund of your balance by completing a SHUcard Refund Request form. Please note that all refund requests will be processed after the service termination date of 31 May 2023. You’ll be contacted by our finance team with details of what is required.
Any leftover balances will be donated to the Hallam Fund if not requested by 31 May 2023.
Loyalty points will no longer be given via your card but through paper means instead. We recommend using any existing loyalty points on your card as soon as possible and before 31 May 2023.
All cards are requested via My Student Record on the ‘My Enrolment and Fees‘ page or the SHU Online store. SHUcards are produced on site and are sent out via second class mail to the address provided.
How do I get my card?
- Students cannot get a SHUcard until they are enrolled. All new students will receive an email link to the online form after they have been fully enrolled. New students can apply via Log in to the portal (shu.ac.uk)
- Students are required to provide a full postal address including; flat numbers/building name, road name and postcode.
- Students are required to upload a JPG photo when making their application. A card cannot be produced if this format is not used.
- Any photos that do not meet the guidelines (must be a clear head shot, no hats or sunglasses) will be rejected and notified.
- Once photos are approved a notification is sent to the student. A further notification will be sent after the card has been produced and posted. This may take up to 10 days to arrive.
- Access to the library is automatic and any other access linked to studies will be added if required by the subject.
- For enrolment system problems, please contact: email@example.com
All other staff and student cards are ordered via the online store
Customers are required to register with the online store before an order can be placed.
- New photos can be downloaded if required.
- For lost and damaged student cards a £10 charge is applicable.
- If your card is stolen, a crime reference number is required to get a replacement card free of charge
Returning students/Expired cards
- Returning students who have out of date cards will need to enter the old card details when filling in the form.
- Once a new card is produced any access, including the library, will cease to work on the old card
- All SHUcards are posted out and can take 10 days to arrive.
- Library access is automatic, any other access must be linked to the subject. This needs to be requested at the time of application and will take 48 hours to activate.
- Please included your Student/Staff ID in any correspondence
- If you have any problems ordering via the online store, please email firstname.lastname@example.org
How do I check my transactions and balance?
Use the online portal or SHUcard app to view your balance and details of your most recent transactions. You can also use the SHUcard top up points situated across the University to top up and check your balance.
How do I pay using my SHUcard?
Once you have topped up you can make secure transactions in seconds. Just touch the card or smartphone on the card reader in any of your favourite University outlets until 31 May 2023.
Is the money safe?
Yes. No money is stored on the SHUcard itself. When you load money onto your SHUcard, it is held in an account by the University until you choose to spend it. The University guarantees your funds from that point onwards. This means that nothing can happen to your money and we will honour the amount on your SHUcard. The University remains bound at all times by the Financial Conduct Authority (FCA) regulations on E-Money.
What do I do if my SHUcard is lost or stolen?
If your SHUcard is lost or stolen then it's essential that you block it as soon as possible. To do so, log in to the online system and select 'block cashless card' from the settings menu (cards can also be unblocked using the same feature). Once you have blocked your SHUcard you need to go the online store to order a replacement card.
You can order a new one from the Online store and your card will be posted to you via standard 2nd class post.
Who can I contact if I have a query?
If you need help obtaining a SHUcard please phone 0114 225 5555 Monday to Friday 8.30am -16.30pm or email ! SHU-Student Card Replacement
If you have any queries about using your SHUcard please email email@example.com for staff and firstname.lastname@example.org for students.