Contemporary Musculoskeletal Rehabilitation
This module will develop your problem solving, practical and therapeutic skills. You will be encouraged to use evidence to inform practice and critical reflection upon your own performance. The content of this module includes assessment of patients with Neuro-Musculoskeletal (NMSK) dysfunction and disorders. You will be supported in exploring and applying contemporary management approaches, for example patient self-management purposive exercise, general exercise for fitness, fearless movement, range of manual and movement therapeutic interventions, functional rehabilitation of the patient with NMSK pathology and engagement with relevant literature and evidence.
Who the module is aimed at
Qualified physiotherapists or those in related professions including chiropractic and osteopathy.
By engaging successfully with this module you will be able to
- Critically discuss and apply relevant contemporary neuro-musculoskeletal theories, concepts and evidence
- Critically evaluate the effectiveness of Manual and Movement Therapy interventions, integrating the evidence base relevant to the management and rehabilitation of neuro-musculoskeletal disorders
- Critically discuss the importance of patients' expectations, regarding their role in, and their engagement with their therapy in recovery
- Critically reflect on own ability to manage patients with neuro-musculoskeletal problems
The module will be delivered using a blended learning approach with the main focus on problem solving, practical and therapeutic skill development/application, the judicious use of evidence to inform practice and critical reflection upon your own performance.
You will be expected to take responsibility for your own learning and engage the independent guided study activities and learning opportunities to explore the relevant topic areas in more detail. Integration and application of learning will be developed in a peer supportive and stimulatory environment, thereby combining theoretical elements with practical problem solving and reflection.
General areas covered
- Assessment of patient with NMSK dysfunction and disorders
- Exploring and applying contemporary management approaches for these patients for example
- Patient self-management purposive exercise, general exercise for fitness,
- Fearless movement
- Range of manual and movement therapeutic interventions
- Functional rehabilitation of the patient with NMSK pathology
- Engagement with relevant literature and evidence
Fees and Funding for 2019/20
|Indicative price for stand-alone module||
Home / EU student: £1,335
International students: £2,250 - this is part-time study and therefore cannot provide sponsorship for Tier 4.
This module attracts Learning Beyond Registration/Specialist Skills and Post Registration Development (LBR/SSPRD) funding by the following schemes:
|How to apply||
To apply for a self-funded place, please complete and return the application form below:
To apply for a Learning Beyond Registration/Specialist Skills and Post Registration Development (LBR/SSPRD) funded place, please complete and return the relevant application form below:
- Relevant professional qualification
(The above must be evidenced in the applicants application form)
This module is delivered at our Collegiate Crescent Campus
This module is planned to commence in February 2020 with attendance at the University required on 5th, 12th & 19th February, 5th, 12th, 17th & 25th March, 2nd & 9th April 2020. Assessments will be held during w/c 28th April 2020.
Module assessment is made up of one or more assessment tasks. The assessment task(s) for this module are:
- Practical Examination
- Written Assignment
Successful completion of this module will earn you 30 level 7 credits