Dissertation (45 credits)
This module provides an opportunity to conduct a project that is of importance to your professional practice and of relevance to your own workplace organisation; with the ultimate aim of influencing and impacting on the care provided to those using this service.
Who the course is aimed at
All individuals on an Allied Health Profession or Nursing post-graduate/post-registration course, who have met the requirements of the postgraduate diploma stage and are looking to complete the masters with this final dissertation project.
Benefits of taking the module to the individual, the organisation and the patient
For the individual, this module further develops learner autonomy and enables the individual to demonstrate their knowledge of research methods and their application. It provides an opportunity to contribute to the ongoing development of their profession, the service provided and the existing evidence base in their chosen project field. It may also provide a basis for further academic development i.e. progression onto a PhD/Professional Doctorate.
For the organisation, it provides support to an individual practitioner to conduct a piece of research/service evaluation or development which addresses organisational priorities.
For the patient, individuals are encouraged to conduct a project that has clear value in terms of improving clinical outcomes/patient experience.
What you learn – overall aims of the module
This module enables you to plan and conduct an in-depth investigation of a topic that contributes to professional practice. It provides the opportunity to apply an understanding of research methods to the investigation and allows you to demonstrate your ability to work with relative autonomy in undertaking a sustained, in-depth piece of independent learning. It promotes the dissemination of findings to your professional community.
General areas covered – indicative content
- This module is essentially an individual, self-directed piece of work the contents of which will be specific to your professional area and interests
- You will be expected to demonstrate a knowledge base relevant to the topic of interest as well as knowledge and understanding of appropriate research methods
- You will be advised about the necessity of obtaining ethical and scientific approval for your project
To study this distance learning module you will require access to a computer with
- a reliable internet connection
- Microsoft or Apple Mac Supported Office Software
- the current version of Google Chrome or Mozilla Firefox
Additional Assessment Information
Students are asked to submit a proposal which must be approved prior to pursuing their project. Completed projects are submitted as a 9,000 word thesis.
Students will be given information about the module and its requirements from their subject module leader and then support/guidance throughout their project from their allocated academic supervisor.
Fees and Funding for 2021/22
|Indicative price for stand-alone module||
Home student: £2,125
EU / International students: £2,125 - this is part-time study and therefore cannot provide sponsorship for Tier 4.
his module attracts Workforce Development / Workforce Transformation funding WDF/WTF by the following schemes:
|How to apply||
To apply for a self-funded place, please complete and return the application form below:
To apply for a Workforce Development / Workforce Transformation funding WDF/WTF funded place, please complete and return the relevant application form below
• Relevant professional qualification
• Relevant work experience
• Relevant workplace opportunities and organisational support
• Must have completed the PGD requirements of the course you are on, or if you are looking to import previous PGD credits into the course, these must satisfy the aims and learning outcomes for the PGD stage of that course.
(The above must be evidenced in the applicants application form
The assessment task for this module is a 9,000 word thesis.
Successful completion of this module will earn you 45 level 7 credits
- MSc Advanced Clinical Practice
- MSc Advanced Clinical Practice Image Interpretation
- MSc Enhanced Diagnostic Imaging Practice
- MSc Advanced Clinical Practice Musculoskeletal Management
- MSc Specialist Physiotherapy Practice
- MSc Advancing Professional Practice
- MSc Health and Social Care Education
- MSc Health and Social Care Leadership
- MSc Vocational Rehabilitation
- MRes Health and Wellbeing