Expert Practice for Extended Roles
This module aims to provide you with the skills and knowledge required within your extended role in developing as an expert practitioner in radiotherapy and oncology evidencing your clinical competency as you work at an advanced clinical level.
Who the module is aimed at
The module is aimed at those practitioners working within Radiotherapy and/or Oncology who are working in an advanced practice role, either having only just started in the role, or with more experience.
Benefits of taking the module to the individual, the organisation and the patient
The module will facilitate the development of practice knowledge that will reflect your scope of clinical practice, alongside developing autonomous clinical reasoning skills. The module encourages you to take an evidence based ownership of your professional practice and academic learning to support the development of your expert clinical practice.
The module is designed to allow the development of a critical awareness of what it means to be a clinical expert in your field and the knowledge and skills required to enhance patient care and service delivery.
What you learn
Using a combination of theoretical and practical knowledge that will engage you in developing the role of a safe autonomous expert practitioner you will learn about the legal, ethical and professional issues working at an advanced clinical level as well as giving you skills to practice autonomously and with confidence. You will learn to demonstrate critical decision-making skills and exercise professional judgement using strategies of emotional intelligence and critical reflection to improve personal and professional development and lifelong learning which will only serve to enhance your professional practice and the service that you deliver with the service user at the heart of your practice.
This module is accredited by the Society and College of Radiographers (SCoR).
To study this distance learning module you will require access to a computer with
- a reliable internet connection
- Microsoft or Apple Mac Supported Office Software
- the current version of Google Chrome or Mozilla Firefox
Fees and Funding for 2022/23
|Indicative price for stand-alone module||
Home student: £1,415
EU / International students: £1,415- this is part-time study and therefore cannot provide sponsorship for Tier 4.
|How to apply||
To apply for a self-funded place, please complete and return the application form below:
To apply for a Workforce Development / Workforce Transformation funding WDF/WTF funded place, please complete and return the relevant application form below
Further information and Workforce Development Funding / CPD Funding online application form
- You must hold a degree (or equivalent professional qualification) which is recognised in the UK in a related health care subject, for example BSc (Hons) Radiotherapy and Oncology or Therapeutic Radiography or a Diploma of the College of Radiographers (T)
- Equivalent international academic and/or professional qualifications will be considered
- You must be working in an extended role in practice and have the support of your employer and the necessary work based competency training and support in place, in order to undertake this module
- Reliable internet connection
- If English is not your first language you must have an IELTS score of 6.5 with a minimum of 6.0 in each skill area
The above must be evidenced in your application form
This module is delivered via distance learning
View our statement on notional study hours »
Module delivery dates to follow. Please contact the Module Leader for further information.
This module is delivered via distance learning. Attendance at the university is not required but engagement with online activity is expected.
Module assessment is made up of one or more assessment tasks. The assessment task(s) for this module are:
- Viva: typically, a combination of a presentation/demonstration to one or more academics, with discussion, questioning and oral feedback
Successful completion of this module will earn you 30 level 7 credits
For further information please contact the module leader Melanie Clarkson - email@example.com or contact the student experience team: