Leadership in Practice (Distance Learning)
In the continually changing health and social care environment it is imperative that individuals are able to adapt and review how they understand and undertake leadership and management within their roles. Yet it can be difficult to make sense of the growing evidence base, theories and approaches to effective leadership and management.
This module is ideal for both aspiring and experienced leaders and managers who want to develop an applied understanding of leadership and management in contemporary health and social care.
Who the module is aimed at
All health and social care professionals, including third sector or private organisations.
Benefits of taking the module to the individual, the organisation and the patient
You will be supported to develop:
- a critical understanding of the overarching concepts of leadership and management
- determine how this relates to your work and role within your organisation
- a clear plan of your on-going leadership development moving forward
What you learn
We aim to support you to develop an in-depth understanding of the fields of management and leadership in the contemporary health and social care context, whilst considering your role and future development.
General areas covered
- Overarching concepts of leadership and management
- Leadership overview
- Mapping the field of leadership
- Leadership and learning diagnostic tools
- Leadership learning and development
Skills gained for the workplace, technical skills or academic skills
- Reflective and critical thinking
- Academic writing
To Study this distance learning module you will require access to a computer with:
- a reliable internet connection
- Microsoft or Apple Mac Supported Office Software
- the current version of Google Chrome or Mozilla Firefox
Fees and Funding for 2022/23
|Indicative price for stand-alone module||
Home student: £710
EU / International students: £710 - this is part-time study and therefore cannot provide sponsorship for Tier 4.
|How to apply||
To apply for a self-funded place, please complete and return the application form below:
To apply for a Workforce Development / Workforce Transformation funding WDF/WTF funded place, please complete and return the relevant application form below:
Further information and Workforce Development Funding / CPD Funding online application form
- You must have experience of studying and writing at level 6.
- You must have access to a reliable internet connection
- Where English is not your first language you must be able to supply IELTS scores.
The above must be evidenced in your application form.
This module is delivered via distance learning
View our statement on notional study hours »
This module has upcoming intakes in January 2023 and September 2023.
Please contact the Module Leader for more information.
For distance learning modules/courses attendance at the University is not required but engagement with online activity is expected.
Module assessment is made up of one or more assessment tasks. The assessment task(s) for this module are:
- Written Assignment
Successful completion of this module will earn you 15 level 7 credits
For further information please contact the module leader Anita McCrum - A.McCrum@shu.ac.uk or contact the student experience team:
- MSc Advanced Clinical Practice Image Interpretation
- MSc Enhanced Diagnostic Imaging Practice
- MSc Health and Social Care Education
- MSc Health and Social Care Leadership
- MSc Advanced Clinical Practice Musculoskeletal Management
- MSc Specialist Physiotherapy Practice
- MSc Vocational Rehabilitation
- MSc Prostate Cancer Care
- MSc Advanced Practice (Radiotherapy and Oncology)