Learning and Teaching for Practice (Distance Learning)
The module is designed to develop your knowledge of education and practical teaching skills to support education and training in practice. You will be able to explore your educational experiences and practice and improve teaching skills and understanding that supports patient care.
Who the course is aimed at
This module is for all health and social care professionals with an interest in learning and teaching, who wish to develop their skills and expertise in education. The module is aimed at both early career educators and those experienced in a role which provides a vibrant multi professional online learning environment.
Benefits of taking the course to the individual, the organisation and the patient
You will be able to develop your teaching skills which will enhance delivery in the workplace to support the teaching and learning experience. This will enhance your teaching skill set which will support improved teaching and learning and staff development in the workplace. As a distance learning route, you are able to flexibly engage with the learning around your own needs.
What you learn
The aim of the module is to develop enhanced teaching skills whilst also explore educational theory to underpin and develop your practice. You will engage with a range of teaching strategies whilst considering learning theory to explore the role of the educator and the needs of the learner. You will learn through a range of innovative and inspiring online teaching approaches which will also help to develop insight in to your own educational practice whilst providing a supportive online learning community.
General areas covered
- Teaching skills development
- Lesson planning
- Learning theory
- Teaching strategies
- Learning styles
- Learning environment
Skills gained for the workplace, technical skills or academic skills
- Reflective practice skills
- Critical application of teaching and learning theory
- Enhanced Teaching skills
Unique or interesting features
You will be taught as part of a multi-professional group which mirrors the workplace and allows for learning with, from and about other professions to ensure better educational experiences and understanding for all staff.
To Study this distance learning module you will require access to a computer with:
- a reliable internet connection
- Microsoft or Apple Mac Supported Office Software
- the current version of Google Chrome or Mozilla Firefox
Fees and Funding for 2022/23
|Indicative price for stand-alone module||
Home student: £710
EU / International students: £710 - this is part-time study and therefore cannot provide sponsorship for Tier 4.
|How to apply||
To apply for a self-funded place, please complete and return the application form below:
To apply for a Workforce Development / Workforce Transformation funding WDF/WTF funded place, please complete and return the relevant application form below:
- Relevant professional qualification
- Relevant work experience
- Relevant workplace opportunities and organisational support
- Normally, applicants will hold a first degree / professional qualification which is recognised in the UK in a related health care subject.
- Usually 3 years full time experience (or part-time equivalence) in relevant professional practice over the preceding 10 years. (3 years minimum for NMC Teacher applicants)
- An appropriate professional qualification
- NMC SPECIFIC: Entry on an appropriate part of the NMC Professional Register; if requiring NMC Teacher status.
- In addition, recognised qualification in specific field of practice
- Usually has an NMC approved Mentor qualification or equivalent with appropriate experience. Must be educated to first degree level.
- International students must have reliable internet access and supply IELTS scores.
The above must be evidenced in your applicants application form
This module is delivered via distance learning
This module has two planned intakes as follows:
• September 2022
• January 2023
The module is normally delivered over a 6 week period.
This module is delivered via distance learning. Attendance at the university is not required but engagement with online activity is expected.
Module assessment is made up of one or more assessment tasks. The assessment task(s) for this module are:
- Critical Review
- Practical Assessment
Successful completion of this module will earn you 15 level 7 credits