Planning Service Improvement
Service improvement is at the heart of how we ensure and improve the quality of the service user experience. Your project may relate to any aspect of a service which could be improved or a new innovative idea that you wish to take forward. This might relate to care in a clinical or community setting or may be concerned with processes and resources. In undertaking this module, you will receive practical advice, extend your academic knowledge and most importantly have the support of a group of peers engaged in their own service improvement challenges (you will not be required to implement the service improvement project during the module).
Who the module is aimed at
All health and social care professionals, including third sector or private organisations.
Benefits of taking the module to the individual, the organisation and the patient
You will develop the knowledge and skills to identify, justify and plan a specific service improvement project. You will be better prepared to respond to, lead or take an active part in future service improvement projects. You will be equipped to lead service improvement through understanding the influence leadership and followership has on the service improvement processes in your organisation. Placing the service users at the centre of the project you will identify achievable and measurable benefits for the stakeholder group and your organisation.
What you learn
We aim to support you in identifying, justifying and planning for the delivery of service improvement within your organisation. In doing so you will develop your understanding of the processes involved and the challenges of leading teams and managing resources.
General areas covered
- Service improvement methodologies
- Understanding of the improvement process within health and social care
- Critical reflection via distance learning activities and online support
- Understanding the barriers to change
- Leading without positional power
Skills gained for the workplace, technical skills or academic skills
- Reflective and critical thinking
To Study this distance learning module you will require access to a computer with:
- a reliable internet connection
- Microsoft or Apple Mac Supported Office Software
- the current version of Google Chrome or Mozilla Firefox
Fees and Funding for 2022/23
|Indicative price for stand-alone module||
Home student: £710
EU / International students: £1,205 - this is part-time study and therefore cannot provide sponsorship for Tier 4.
|How to apply||
To apply for a self-funded place, please complete and return the application form below:
To apply for a Workforce Development / Workforce Transformation funding WDF/WTF funded place, please complete and return the relevant application form below
Further information and Workforce Development Funding / CPD Funding online application form
- You must have experience of studying and writing at level 6
- Awareness of and/or exposure to a service improvement need within your organisation
- You must have access to a reliable internet connection
- Where English is not your first language you must be able to supply IELTS scores.
The above must be evidenced in your application form.
This module is delivered via distance learning
View our statement on notional study hours »
This module will have intakes in September 2022 and January 2023.
This module is delivered via distance learning. Attendance at the university is not required but engagement with online activity is expected.
Module assessment is made up of one or more assessment tasks. The assessment task(s) for this module are:
The production of an academic board detailing your service improvement project and critical reflection
- Project Work
- Critical Reflection
Successful completion of this module will earn you 15 level 7 credits
For further information please contact the module leader Anita McCrum - email@example.com or contact the student experience team:
- MSc Advanced Clinical Practice Musculoskeletal Management
- MSc Specialist Physiotherapy Practice
- MSc Advanced Clinical Practice Radiotherapy and Oncology
- MSc Enhanced Radiotherapy and Oncology Practice
- MSc Radiotherapy Planning Practice
- MSc Supportive, Palliative and End of Life Care
- MSc Vocational Rehabilitation
- MSc Health and Social Care Education
- MSc Health and Social Care Leadership