Researching for Practice (Distance Learning)
This module will allow you to develop a critical understanding of a range of both qualitative and quantitative research methodologies and apply their use to specific health care scenarios. You will be encouraged to critically appraise the appropriateness of a range of study designs and data collection and analysis methods, in relation to a specific research question(s). This knowledge will further enhance your ability to critique the value and quality of research evidence underpinning clinical practice and you will also be able to apply this knowledge in later dissertation work, or other research you plan and undertake.
Who the module is aimed at
All health and social care professionals.
Benefits of taking the module to the individual, the organisation and the patient
This knowledge will further enhance your ability to critique the value and quality of research evidence underpinning clinical practice and you will also be able to apply this knowledge in later dissertation work, or other research you plan and undertake.
What you learn
You will gain a basic but essential understanding of a range of research methods and how to apply them to a chosen area of research in your practice.
General areas covered
- Developing a research question
- Building a search strategy
- Critiquing the literature
- Introduction to quantitative and qualitative approaches to research
- Ethical considerations
- Methods of data collection and analysis
- Introduction to use of statistics in research
Unique or interesting features
This is a multi-professional module and the opportunity to work with and learn with others is a positive aspect of the module.
To study this distance learning module you will require access to a computer with
- a reliable internet connection
- Microsoft Windows XP or newer (PCs) / OSX 10.6 or newer (Mac)
- Internet Explorer version 8 or newer (PC), Safari 4.0 or newer (Mac) or the current version of Google Chrome or Mozilla Firefox
- Java Runtime Environment (JRE) 7 or newer
Fees and Funding for 2019/20
|Indicative price for stand-alone module||
Home / EU student: £670
International students: £670 - this is part-time study and therefore cannot provide sponsorship for Tier 4.
This module attracts Learning Beyond Registration/Specialist Skills and Post Registration Development (LBR/SSPRD) funding by the following schemes:
|How to apply||
To apply for a self-funded place, please complete and return the application form below:
To apply for a Learning Beyond Registration/Specialist Skills and Post Registration Development (LBR/SSPRD) funded place, please complete and return the relevant application form below:
• Relevant professional qualification
• Relevant work experience
• Relevant workplace opportunities and organisational support
This module is a pre requisite module to the Dissertation module. It can also be taken as a stand-alone module.
(The above must be evidenced in the applicants application form)
International students must have reliable internet access and supply IELTS scores.
This module is delivered via distance learning
This module is planned to have three intakes as follows:
- Semester 1: online induction activities during w/c 23rd September 2019 with delivery from w/c 30th September 2019
- Semester 2: online induction activities during w/c 13th January 2020 with delivery from w/c 20th January 2020
- Semester 3: online induction activities during w/c 26th May 2020 with delivery from w/c 2nd June 2020
For distance learning modules attendance at the University is not required but engagement with online activity is expected.
Module assessment is made up of one or more assessment tasks. The assessment task(s) for this module are:
- Written Assignment
Successful completion of this module will earn you 15 level 7 credits
- MSc Advanced Clinical Practice Image Interpretation
- MSc Enhanced Diagnostic Imaging Practice
- MRes Health and Wellbeing
- MSc Health and Social Care Education
- MSc Health and Social Care Leadership
- MSc Advancing Professional Practice
- MSc Advanced Clinical Practice
- MSc Vocational Rehabilitation
- MSc Advanced Clinical Practice Musculoskeletal Management
- MSc Specialist Physiotherapy Practice
- MSc Advanced Clinical Practice Radiotherapy and Oncology
- MSc Enhanced Radiotherapy and Oncology Practice
- MSc Prostate Cancer Care
- MSc Radiotherapy Planning Practice
- MSc Supportive, Palliative and End of Life Care