We place an emphasis on employability and transferable skills development throughout our courses. Integration of these skills is informed by regular meetings with employers meaning that our graduates leave with a skill set which is desired by the current scientific sector. The Department meets regularly with its Employer Advisory Board which includes representatives from a number of international companies including Astra-Zeneca, Covance and Evotec.
All undergraduate students have the opportunity to take a years work placement and obtain an Applied Professional Diploma. We have placement partners in industry and the public sectors, and opportunities for placement are available in areas including
• research and clinical trials departments in pharmaceutical companies
• quality control laboratories in the private and public sector
• chemical synthesis and analysis
• medical diagnostics including hospital pathology laboratories
• university and government research institute laboratories
• biotechnology and food technology development
• schools and colleges
Students are also encouraged and supported to develop their personal and scientific skills through short-term summer placements that are offered by a wide range of learned societies and other national schemes.