Adele's academic background lies in tourism and recreation studies and she has taught at both undergraduate and postgraduate levels on tourism, recreation and management modules. Adele is also studying for a PhD which focuses on the experiences of adventure tourists participating in organised mountaineering holidays. Specifically her research investigates the constraints that can be encountered and negotiated when accessing and participating in adventure tourism, and the benefits that are sought and experienced from organised mountaineering holidays. Adele previously was a snowboard instructor in America and is an enthusiast of the outdoors, which has inspired her area of research. Adele is a member of the Adventure Tourism Research Association (ATRA), an organisation which seeks to bring together academics, adventure professionals and commercial operators. She is also a member of ATRA's steering group and in 2015 she co-organised the 4th ATRA International Adventure Conference, which was held at Sheffield Hallam University. Adele is also a member of the Outdoor Recreation Research Group (ORRG), which is a group of Sheffield Hallam University research experts with expertise in diverse areas of the outdoor recreation sector. Curently Adele and other ORRG members are working with Sheffield City Council on a project to develop adrenaline fuelled city breaks designed to attract international sports enthusiasts. The project was awarded by VisitBritain and their Discover England fund.
- 2008: MSc Tourism Management and Development, Buckinghamshire New University
- 2002: BA Tourism Studies, Bournemouth University
- 2015 to date: Fellow - Higher Education Academy, Higher Education Academy
- 2011 to date: Doctor of Philosophy, Tourism Management, Sheffield Hallam University, United Kingdom
Member of professional body
- 2017: , Adventure Tourism Research Association, United Kingdom
- 2015: , Higher Education Academy (HEA), United Kingdom
Programme or Unit leadership
- 2014: , Sheffield Hallam University, United Kingdom
Senior Lecturer in Tourism
- Modules include Introduction to Adventure Tourism, Adventure Tourism Operations and Management, Digital Tourism Marketing and Marketing Communications.
- Service Sector Management
- Outdoor Recreation Research Group: https://www.shu.ac.uk/research/specialisms/outdoor-recreation-research-group
- Adventure Tourism Research Association: https://atra.global/steering-group/
Sheffield Business School
2014 to present: Digital Tourism Marketing, Marketing Communications, Internatioinal Adventure Tourism and Contemporary Challenges for Tourism, Sheffield Hallam University, United Kingdom
DORAN, Adele, SCHOFIELD, Peter and LOW, Tiffany (2018). Women's mountaineering tourism: an empirical investigation of its theoretical constraint dimensions. Leisure Studies, 1-15. (In Press)
SCHOFIELD, Peter, DORAN, Adele and NOLAN, Ray (2017). Assessing the walkability of urban public space with GIS technology: The hidden dimensions of security and community heritage. In: The Routledge international handbook of walking. Abingdon, Oxford, Routledge, 369-378.
DORAN, Adele (2016). Empowerment and women in adventure tourism : a negotiated journey. Journal of Sport and Tourism, 20 (1), 57-80.
POMFRET, Gill and DORAN, Adele (2015). Gender and mountaineering tourism. In: MUSA, Ghazali, THOMPSON-CARR, Anna and HIGHAM, James, (eds.) Mountaineering Tourism. Contemporary Geographies of Leisure, Tourism and Mobility . Routledge, 138-155.
Conference Speaker: DORAN, A. (2018), 'Women's mountaineering tourism: an empirical investigation of its theoretical constraint dimensions', in 6th International Adventure Conference - Climates of Change: Rethinking the Outdoor Experience', Segovia, La Granja and Valsain, Spain, International Adventure Conference
Conference Speaker: DORAN, A. (2017), 'Conference Presentation - Women's mountaineering tourism: an empirical investigation of its theoretical constraint dimensions', in Sustainable Tourism Development Conference, Kathmandu, Nepal, Sustainable Tourism Development Conference
Conference Speaker: Doran, A. (2014), 'Empowerment and Women in Adventure Tourism: A Negotiated Journey', in 3rd International Adventure Conference - 'Adventures in 'Empty Lands' - The Difference and Value of Wild Places', Sogndal, Norway, International Adventure Conference
Conference Speaker: Doran, A. (2012), 'A Review of the Current Literature on Female Adventure Tourists', in 1st International Adventure Conference - 'Meanings, Markets and Magic', University of the Highlands and Islands, Scotland., International Adventure Conference
Research funding or grant
- 2017: Develop adrenaline fuelled city breaks designed to attract international sports enthusiasts, VisitBritain, United Kingdom
Share this page
Are you sure you want to cancel your place on Saturday 12 November?