Professor Hovsepian is head of the Thin Films Research Centre and the Nanotechnology Centre for PVD Research at MERI. His major field of endeavour is fundamental research and development of technologies for deposition of application tailored nanoscale multilayer structured PVD coatings using advanced deposition techniques such as Magnetron Sputtering, Cathodic Arc Evaporation and HIPIMS. Examples include corrosion and wear resistant coatings, high temperature oxidation resistant coatings, tribological low friction coatings and coatings for biomedical applications. Professor Hovsepian has published more than 240 scientific papers, has been granted 12 patents. He is a member of EJCPISE, IUVSTA, BVC and a Fellow of the Institute of Physics, UK.
Papken Hovsepian joined the Materials and Engineering Research Institute at Sheffield Hallam University in 1997 and took up a Personal Chair in 2004. He has more than 30 years of experience in PVD development and has carried out pioneering work on the development of Cathodic Arc PVD technology and systems leading to industrial implementation of the process.
At present he is head of the Thin Films Research Centre and the Nanotechnology Centre for PVD Research at MERI. His major field of endeavor is fundamental research and development of industrial technologies for deposition of application tailored nanoscale multilayer/superlattice structured PVD coatings using various advanced deposition techniques such as Magnetron Sputtering, Cathodic Arc Evaporation and HIPIMS. Some examples include corrosion and wear resistant coatings, high temperature oxidation resistant coatings, tribological low friction coatings and coatings for biomedical applications. Other fields of interest are coatings for decorative applications (Nb based), and duplex technologies combining plasma nitriding with PVD coatings.
Professor Hovsepian has published more than 240 scientific papers, has been granted 12 patents, 3 product patents and contributed chapters in two books dedicated to the PVD technology.
Professor Hovsepian is involved in partnerships with large number of European, USA and Far East companies, as well as leading research organisations such as Fraunhofer.
He is a co-inventor of the High Power Impulse Magnetron Sputtering (HIPIMS) technology for surface pre-treatment, a Sheffield Hallam University-patented technology licensed to a number of world leading PVD companies: IHI Ionbond, SVS, IHI Hauzer Techno Coatings, CemeCon and The Gillette Company.
He was a member of European Joint Committee on Plasma and Ion Surface Engineering (2000-2016). He is Vice Chair of the Thin Film Division of the International Union for Vacuum Science, Technique and Applications, IUVSTA and member of the British Vacuum Council. He is a Fellow of the Institute of Physics, UK.
Specialist areas of interest
Science, Technology and Arts
EC projects: FP7 Project: “CORRAL”, FP6 Project: "INNOVATIAL"; CRAFT Project: “HIPIMS”; CRAFT Project: "ALTICUT"; CRAFT Project: “Colour PVD”; CRAFT Project: “NITRACOTE”; Bright-Euram:”P+CVD”; Bright- Euram, "HYDAM"; Bright- Euram, "NEWCHROME".
EPSRC projects: "Creation of a National Innovation Playground to Widen the Operational Envelope for Tribological PVD Coatings"
Industrial projects with the following companies: BOSCH, PHILIPS, IHI Hauzer Techno Coating, The GILLETTE Company, IHI Ionbond, Zimmer BIOMET, QinetiQ (UK), CUMMINS (UK), MOOG (UK), Rolls Royce (UK), MAHLE (Br).
- Thin Films Research Centre
- Materials and Engineering Research Institute
- FP7 Project, "POEMA";
- Industrial project with IHI Hauzer Techno Coating;
- Industrial project with MAHLE, Br.;
- Industrial project with Rolls Royce.
IHI Hauzer Techno Coating, IHI Ionbond, Zimmer BIOMET, TRUMPF Huettinger, Rolls Royce, SANDVIK, HIDEN, GENCOA. Consortium partners in the above mentioned EC funded projects.
Membership in Professional Bodies
- Member of the Society of Vacuum Coaters, (SVC), USA, 1995- Present.
- Member of the American Vacuum Society (AVS), 1999-Present.
- Member of the Institute of Physics, (IoP), 2005-Present.
- Member of the Plasma Surface Interaction Committee, Institute of Physics 2005-2008.
- Member of the Yorkshire Surface Engineering Group Steering Committee, 2006-2010.
- Vice- Chair of the Thin Film Division Committee of the International Union for Vacuum Science, Technique and Applications, IUVSTA, 2014-Present.
- Member of the European Joint Committee on Plasma and Ion Surface Engineering, representing UK, (2008-2016).
1. SVC Mentor Award 2017: "For his valuable contributions in the development and industrialisation of High Power Impulse Magnetron Sputtering, (HIPIMS) technology", 2017.
2. Award: Fellow of the Institute of Physics, 2014.
3. Award for Innovation “ PVD Coating Development on Cutting Tools” with Hydra Clarkson Int. Ltd., Yorkshire Forward Centres of Industrial Collaboration, 2006.
4. R.F. Bunshah Award, AVS Advanced Surface Engineering Division, for best paper in Symposium E at the International Conference of Metallurgical Coatings and Thin Films, ICMCTF 2004, San Diego CA.
5. A scholarship from the United States Agency for International Development (USAID) for “Training in Management and Marketing of Vacuum Coating Centres and Vacuum Coating Techniques and Machinery, EMED, Exchange Visitor Programme No: G-2-0263, April 1995, USA.
6. Gold Medal, Presented at the International Technical Fair in Plovdiv, Bulgaria by the Bulgarian Industrial and Trade Association for the development: “Three Coil Steered Arc Self Controlled Evaporator for PVD Coating Deposition”, 1989.
7. A fellowship in Surface Analysis Techniques at LEYBOLD AG Cologne, Germany, awarded by the United Nations Industrial Development Organisation (UNIDO) 1989.
8. Diploma of the Bulgarian Ministry of Health, awarded at the Second National Competition of the Inventors, for the development: Implementation of a novel PVD technology for TiN coating deposition on dental prosthesis at the dental clinics in Rousse region, Bulgaria, Plovdiv, 1987.
9. “Inventor” title award of the Bulgarian Ministry of Health, under the act 57 of the National Inventors Law. Ministry of Health. Reg. No: RD 2665, 17.09.1987, Sofia, Bulgaria.
10. Young Scientists Award “Golden Hands” Presented at the International Technical Fair in Plovdiv, Bulgaria for the development “Rotating magnetron system for deposition of multilayer PVD optical coatings”, 1986.
11. Gold Medal, Presented at the International Technical Fair in Plovdiv, Bulgaria by the Bulgarian Industrial and Trade Association for the development: “Industrial system for PVD coating deposition utilising Cathodic Arc Evaporation, “TITAN”", 1984.
12. Young Scientist Award “Golden Hands” Presented at the International Technical Fair in Plovdiv, Bulgaria for the development: "Technology and inline system for coating deposition on wires in vacuum” 1979.
1. Runners up prize at Bodycote International paper prize competition, 20th March 2005, Toronto, Canada, for the paper: Y. N. Kok, J.G. Wen, I. Petrov, P.Eh. Hovsepian, "Influence of Bias Voltage on the Structure and Tribological Performance of Nanoscale Multilayer C/Cr PVD Coatings"
2. Runners up prize at Bodycote International paper prize competition, 20th March 2005, Toronto, Canada, for the paper: Y. Purandare, M.M. Stack, P. Eh. Hovsepian, "Mechanisms of Erosion-Corrosion of Superlattice PVD CrN/NbN Coatings",
3. Award to the best poster on PROCESSING in the Advances in Materials and Processing Technologies AMPT 2015, Madrid, Spain.
- 2018 - ongoing: Krishnan - '' In situ plasma nitriding and deposition of nanostructured coating utilizing HIPIMS discharge for medical devices ''
- 2014-2017: Barnali Biswas, "Wear and failure mechanism of various nanostructured coating deposited on medical devices using HIPIMS."
- 2011-2014: Dieter Erich Hofmann, "Si:DLC Coatings Optimised for Low Wear and Low Friction Applications"
- 2011-2014: Paranjayee Mandal, "Novel Metal Doped Carbon Based Tribological Coatings with Enhanced Thermal Stability".
- 2010-2013: Arunprhabu Arunalchalam Sugumaran, "Development of Nanostructured PVD Coatings for Total Knee Replacement Joints using HIPIMS".
- 2008-2011: Ganesh Kamath, "Microstructure Mechanical and Tribological Properties of Nanostructured TiAICN/VCN Coatings Produced by HIPIMS."
- 2004-2008: Tuukka Savisalo, "Improving the Tribological Properties of CrN/NbN Superlattice PVD Coatings".
- 2004-2007: Christina Reinhard, "Development of new generation Ti-free nanoscale multilayer/superlattice structured PVD coatings involving Cr, Al and Y to protect gamma Ti-alloys against environmental attack".
- 2002-2005: Yin Nan Kok, "Nanoscale Multilayer Me-C Coatings Grown by Combined Steered Cathodic Arc/ Unbalanced Magnetron Sputtering"