Property and construction
We dig deeper
With the tough conditions of the recent economic climate, we can help you drive your business forward.
We turn academic expertise into real-world applications. It’s about delivering and demonstrating bottom-line impact in an industry we understand at every level. Many of our academic staff have worked and continue to work in practice, while others are represented on national and regional boards. Everything we do is built around core values of sustainability, environmentally sensitive design and profitable development.
- designing four courses for Kier, who wanted to improve the training it offers its workforce
- providing advice to the Forestry Commission on the recreation benefits of the public forest estate
- doing research for English Heritage into the commercial production of stone roof tiles
- undertaking a project on the frost performance of recycled crushed brick to reduce site waste
- working with Barratt Developments to create a tailor-made degree programme for its staff
To offer extra expertise for your work, we draw on our Department of Built Environment. The department’s been recognised through national awards in architectural technology and design, and several staff members have received national and international awards for research and scholarship. It also works with UNESCO, the EU and the Food and Agriculture Organisation of the United Nations on international policy on landscapes and sustainability.
Whether you're looking for strategic guidance or an innovative solution to a specific problem, you can rely on our expertise to help develop your business
- product or materials development
- innovation in buildings and solutions for infrastructure management, environmental protection and materials and recycling
- staff training and professional development
Sustainable and innovative construction materials
Our world-ranking Materials and Engineering Research Institute (MERI) has been involved in research and development to develop sustainable materials for the construction industry for many years. For example, the creation of new materials from waste including Liquid Granite, which can be used in the same way as concrete, but offers a higher level of fire resistance and is made of between 30 and 70 per cent recycled material. Talk to us about how MERI can help you with innovative new materials too.
Specialists in facilities management
Are you facing a smaller budget or a changing workforce, or want more from the space you have available? We’re experts in using space strategically. It's not just about remodelling or refitting an office, it's about people and places. We take a strategic approach to the sustainability of your organisation, the performance of your staff and, ultimately, how you can improve your bottom line.
We have some of Europe's leading experts in facilities management, applying the latest strategic thinking in the field. We can provide you with an independent analysis of the challenges facing you, and show how more effective facilities management can make a difference to the whole organisation. We can also develop and upskill practising managers.
Find out more – download our business brochure (PDF, 3MB).