Funding and support
We have a range of funding and support schemes that can unlock opportunities and ensure long-term growth for your business.
Sheffield Innovation Programme
As part of the Sheffield Innovation Programme (SIP), we help small and medium enterprises (SMEs) across the Sheffield City Region to innovate.
We can help you realise your great ideas by working with you to develop solutions, resolve problems, and refine new products.
We’re a large university with an applied focus — so we can bring together specialist academics, researchers and practitioners from a very wide range of fields. These include packaging design, advanced manufacturing, sports engineering, robotics and materials engineering.
We have worked with businesses on projects including
- increasing the energy efficiency of production processes
- introducing lean manufacturing processes
SIP is funded through the Economic Regional Development Fund (ERDF), and delivered in partnership with the University of Sheffield.
The programme offers an initial 2-5 days of academic time to work with you to understand your business and recommend appropriate ways forward.
Research and development funding
Funding schemes — generally in the form of government grants — can help you cover the costs of innovative projects.
Funding is often focused on specific industry areas or themes, such as energy efficiency, innovative materials or medical technology.
Sheffield Hallam has a long track-record of partnering with businesses to win funding.
Examples of our successful funding bids include
- £4.4m for food engineering projects with companies such as Nestlé UK, Greencore, Spirax Sparco and Dext Heat Recovery to improve the efficiency of food production processes
- over £10m won for 175 Knowledge Transfer Partnerships (KTPs), embedding innovation and expertise into over 130 businesses in the last 30 years
- £210k as part of the VIEWS (Validation and Integration of Manufacturing Enablers for Future Wing Structures) programme to help bring new wing design and manufacture technologies to market readiness for the UK Aerospace industry
Sheffield Hallam can help you to take advantage of the latest funding opportunities, get to grips with the application process and help you develop a project that accelerates your business.
Find out more about our research and development support.
Higher and degree apprenticeship funding
An apprenticeship is a great way to develop your team. Thanks to the government’s apprenticeship levy, you can get vital funding to cover your costs.
We can help you navigate the apprenticeship system and support you on how to use the apprenticeship levy.
We can also help you find and employ a student or graduate intern. Internships provide short term support and fresh perspectives to your business. Visit our internships page for more information.
Sheffield Hallam University has significantly supported BS Stainless... We were able to work closely with them to establish thorough testing procedures developed in their state-of-the-art laboratory. We would like to thank them for their immense support.
Brian Shaw, managing director, BS Stainless - view full case study