In the Research Excellence Framework (REF) 2014, 65% of the research submitted by Sheffield Hallam was rated world-leading or internationally excellent.
The results moved the University up 25 places in the national research league tables.
Sheffield Hallam's quality profile
REF assigns a quality level to each piece of research submitted based on the originality, significance and rigour of the work.
- 4*: World-leading
- 3*: Internationally excellent
- 2*: Recognised internationally
- 1*: Recognised nationally
Sheffield Hallam's submissions were rated as follows:
- 18% was rated 4*
- 47% was rated 3*
- 29% was rated 2*
- 5% was rated 1*
For more detail, visit the REF website's assessment criteria and level definition page.
Results by unit of assessment
We have developed a number of areas of research excellence that are truly world leading, and we have a good track record of working with organisations to apply the outputs of that research. To support this activity, we made submissions to 11 strategic priority units of assessment for REF 2014.
The results below show the percentage of research submissions within each unit that were rated 3* or 4*.
- Architecture, Built Environment and Town Planning: 81%
- Art and Design: History, Practice and Theory: 81%
- Allied Health Professions, Dentistry, Nursing and Pharmacy: 71%
- Education: 69%
- History: 67%
- Communication, Cultural and Media Studies, Library and Information Management: 65%
- Sports and Exercise Sciences, Leisure and Tourism: 57%
- Electrical and Electronic Engineering, Metallurgy and Materials: 56%
- English Language and Literature: 52%
- Biological sciences: 46%
- Business and management studies: 43%
REF results highlights
Sheffield Hallam performed particularly well in several areas.
- Art and Design research was ranked second among 45 modern universities and in the top ten of all UK universities
- Architecture, Built Environment and Planning research was ranked first among 23 modern universities, and eleventh of all UK universities
- Education research was ranked third among 39 modern universities
- Sport research was ranked in the top ten of 33 modern institutions
Download the REF results table