What is a foundation year?
Foundation years are an alternative route to studying a full degree. You take a one-year course which allows you to progress on to the first year of one of our undergraduate degree programmes.
Who is a foundation year for?
A foundation year could be right for you if
- you don't yet have the right qualifications for a full degree in your chosen subject
- you have the qualifications but you don't feel ready for degree-level study yet
- you're returning to study and feel you need some help to get up to speed with the demands of learning before starting an undergraduate degree
Why choose a foundation year?
- Adapt to life at uni and a different way of learning as you transition to degree-level study.
- Gain a strong foundation of knowledge and experience in the subject, so you're ready to successfully complete a full degree.
- You can apply for financial support from Student Finance England during your foundation year.
What foundation years are available?
We offer over 90 undergraduate degrees with foundation level entry in a range of subject areas from art and design to biosciences and chemistry. Search for the right foundation year for you here.