What is a foundation year?
Foundation years allow learners an extra year to gain additional skills, knowledge and confidence before progressing into year one of a degree course.
Who is a course with a foundation year for?
A foundation year could be right for you if:
- you don't yet have the right qualifications or right academic profile for entry directly into year 1 of your chosen degree
- you have the right academic profile and qualifications but you don't feel ready for degree-level study yet
- you're returning to study and feel you need some help to get up to speed with the demands of learning before starting an undergraduate degree.
Why choose a course with a foundation year?
- Adapt to life at uni and a different way of learning as you transition to degree-level study
- Gain a strong foundation of knowledge and experience in the subject, so you're ready to successfully complete a full degree
- You can apply for financial support from Student Finance England during your foundation year.
What courses have foundation years?
We offer over 90 undergraduate degrees with foundation level entry in a range of subject areas from art and design to biosciences and chemistry. Search for the right foundation year for you here.
International Foundation Programmes
If you’re an international student and you need help to meet the academic and English language requirements of your degree, we also offer two International Foundation Programmes. Find out more about our International Foundation Programmes.
Foundation Year in Health, Sport and Social Care
Progress onto a range of health courses after completing our Foundation Year in Health, Sport, and Social Care.