International Students with Disabilities

  1. Study
  2. Arriving in Sheffield
  3. International Students with Disabilities

International Students with Disabilities

Under the UK Equality Act 2010, you are disabled if you have a physical or mental impairment that has a substantial and long-term negative effect on your ability to do normal daily activities.

'Substantial' means that everyday tasks such as getting dressed takes much longer. 'Long-term' means 12 months or more. You do not necessarily need to have a diagnosis. But you will need documentation supporting how your symptoms meet this definition.

You may not have previously considered yourself disabled in your home country. But if you feel that your condition may affect your learning at Sheffield Hallam, you may be able to access study support from us, if you:

are D/deaf or hearing impaired
are blind or visually impaired
have a physical disability, and/or mobility difficulties
have a specific learning difficulty (for example, dyslexia or dyspraxia)
have a neurodevelopmental condition (for example, AD(H)D)
have a neurological condition (for example, MS, epilepsy, Tourette Syndrome, stammer)
are autistic
have a mental health condition
have a long-term medical condition (e.g., chronic fatigue syndrome, asthma, diabetes, cancer, HIV)
have a combination of these

UK government funding is not available to pay for study support for EU/international students. It is therefore important that you check if there is funding available in your home country to pay for study support and any equipment you need, and apply for it before coming to the UK.

If you cannot get funding from your home country, you must contact our Disabled Student Support Team before you come to the UK, to clarify how we can support you and the type of support we can provide.

Note that we provide only disability-related study support. We cannot pay for living, personal care, or medical costs. There is no funding from British government or the University to cover the costs of personal care. You should get an assessment of your care needs and a detailed quote for your care prior to arrival in the UK, and make sure you have enough money to cover your care for your whole course, before you come to the UK.

Other things to consider

• UK costs and regulations might be different from your home country. For example, in the UK, two personal assistants are sometimes needed for lifting and moving.
• Prescription medicines and specialist equipment might not be licensed or available in the UK.
Get advice on visas if you want to bring your own personal assistant.
• You must secure accommodation before you arrive in Sheffield. If you plan to bring a personal assistant, you will not be able to stay in Students’ Halls of Residence. Please contact our Accommodation Service for advice on accommodation availability for you and/or any personal assistants, and how much it is likely to cost.

Other useful information

Disability and Special Needs | Study UK
UK Council for International Student Affairs (UKCISA) advice for disabled students

Cancel event

Are you sure you want to cancel your place on Saturday 12 November?