The Home Office uses credibility interviews as part of the Student visa application process. Some students may be interviewed when submitting their application.
Please prepare for these interviews in advance so that you are confident answering questions about your plans to study in the UK. To help you with this, we have prepared a list of possible questions you may be asked during the interview and we recommend you practise answering questions of this type.
Questions about... the UK
- Why do you want to study in the UK?
- What are the benefits of studying in the UK compared to your home country or USA/Canada/Australia etc.?
Questions about... Sheffield Hallam University
Information on the University can be found on our international website.
- Why did you choose to study at Sheffield Hallam University?
- How did you find out about it?
- Which other colleges or universities have you considered?
- Do you know anyone who has already studied there?
- Where is the college or university?
- Do you know roughly how large the college or university is?
- What facilities are you expecting at the college or university?
Questions about... your course
Find detailed information on your course in our online prospectus.
- What course are you studying and how long is it?
- Does this course offer any professional recognition?
- What qualifications will you receive?
- How is your chosen course assessed?
- Why did you choose this course and how does it relate to your previous study?
- Can you explain the gaps in your study/professional history?
- What is the relevance of the course to your future career path?
Questions about... living as a student in the UK
- How are you funding your studies?
- If you have taken out a bank loan to finance your studies, how do you intend to repay it?
- Where do you intend to live while you are in the UK?
- Have you already arranged accommodation?
- If you have dependants travelling with you, what will they be doing while you are studying?
- Have you organised schooling for your children?
- Do you intend to work in the UK during your studies?
- If so, do you know how many hours you would be permitted to work under Tier 4?
Questions about... your future
- What do you intend to do after finishing your course?
- If you intend to return home to seek employment, which companies do you hope to apply to?
- Are you planning to stay in the UK on completion to study for a higher award?
- Are you thinking of transferring to another institution on completing this course?
Please note these are for guidance only. You can download these questions in a printer-friendly format. (PDF, 19.2KB)
Sheffield Hallam University is not responsible for the content of external websites.