International Foundation Programmes
The International Foundation Programmes (IFP) are designed to support international students to meet the academic and English language entry qualifications required for our undergraduate degrees. On successful completion, you are qualified to progress onto a choice of more than 60 undergraduate degree programmes.
Benefits of Sheffield Hallam's International Foundation Programmes
- Successful completion of the programme guarantees you a place on your choice of over 60 Sheffield Hallam undergraduate degrees.
- Develop your academic knowledge, English language and study skills in a caring environment with individual support from dedicated tutors.
- Progress onto your undergraduate studies with confidence and familiarity with UK study practices.
- Build your subject-specific vocabulary with English tuition embedded into your subject modules.
- Learn from experienced Sheffield Hallam staff from our TESOL and subject-related academic departments.
- Study in the heart of our city campus with full access to all of the University’s learning, sports and social facilities, support services and accommodation.
- Receive a 10% progression discount from the first year of your undergraduate tuition fees.
Course structure and entry requirements
The course structure is designed to provide different entry points based on your current English language skills.
Three term programme for students with IELTS 4.5 with a minimum of 4.0 in all skills. The course will start in September and finish in July.
From September to December, there is a single module running from Monday to Friday, for 21 hours per week. The module focuses on improving your English skills to the minimum required for January entry.
In January, you will join with students studying on the two term programme from January to July.
Two term programme for students with IELTS 5.0 with a minimum of 4.5 in all skills. The course will start in January and finish in July.
To apply for the course, you also need good high school graduation grades which include maths.
You must be 18 years old when you enrol on the course. September applicants must be 18 years old by 1 September and January applicants by 1 January.
How to apply
Full subject route details including a list of progression degrees and an application form are available on the following webpages
- International Foundation Programme: Business, Law and Social Sciences
- International Foundation Programme: Business, Law and Social Sciences with Introduction to Academic English
- International Foundation Programme: Engineering
- International Foundation Programme: Engineering with Introduction to Academic English