Simulation-based Education (Distance Learning)
Simulation-based education is seen to have a direct impact on patient safety by allowing practitioners to rehearse for practise in a safe and controlled environment.
The simulation module is delivered by two healthcare practitioners who are experienced in the use of simulation and facilitated debriefing. Nick White (Module Leader) has taught using simulation for around 15 years and holds an MSc Medical and Healthcare Simulation. Dr. Anil Hormis has worked as Senior Faculty at the Montagu Clinical Simulation Centre since 2007. He has lectured nationally and internationally on simulation topics and has published work in peer reviewed journals.
Who the module is aimed at
This module is of benefit to you if you are a professional health and social care practitioner with a role in education who has an interest in the use simulation-based education to teach either technical or non-technical skills.
Benefits of taking the module to the individual, the organisation and the patient
Throughout the module you will work towards designing, running and feeding-back/debriefing your own simulation-based exercise. You will apply the theory to develop your critical understanding in the use of simulation-based education in your workplace.
What you learn
In this module you are introduced to the key theories around simulation-based education, feedback/debrief, technical and non-technical skills teaching, skill acquisition, deliberate practice and skill decay.
General areas covered
- Evidence base for the inclusion of simulation-base education in health and social care education
- Modalities of simulation with an overview of the philosophies and theories from the field of simulation-based education feedback/debrief are explored
- Facilitation and debriefing techniques discussed and practised
- Skill acquisition, skill decay and deliberate practice
- Policy context of simulation-based education is explored
Skills gained for the workplace, technical skills or academic skills
You will be given the opportunity to rehearse your own simulation-based education skills and you will gain feedback on your performance by working in interactive groups; this will be achieved with support of your peers and from your tutor. You will be encouraged to develop a range of independent study skills in order to locate and use best evidence to inform your learning.
Unique or interesting features
You will be able take advantage our exceptional skills facilities and excellent simulation equipment.
To Study this distance learning module you will require access to a computer with:
- a reliable internet connection
- Microsoft or Apple Mac Supported Office Software
- the current version of Google Chrome or Mozilla Firefox
Fees and Funding for 2022/23
|Indicative price for stand-alone module||
Home student: £710
EU / International students: £710 - this is part-time study and therefore cannot provide sponsorship for Tier 4.
|How to apply||
To apply for a self-funded place, please complete and return the application form below:
To apply for a Workforce Development / Workforce Transformation funding WDF/WTF funded place, please complete and return the relevant application form below
- Relevant professional qualification (First degree or equivalent)
- Relevant work experience (3 years post qualification experience (part time equivalent))
- Relevant workplace opportunities and organisational support
- A reliable internet connection
- Where English is not your first language IELTS scores must be supplied
The above must be evidenced in your application form
This module is delivered via distance learning
This module is planned to commence in January 2023. The module is normally delivered over a 10 week period. This module is delivered via distance learning. Attendance at the university is not required but engagement with online activity is expected.
A written word report justifying a prospective simulation-based education session. The student will use an up-to-date evidence base to justify a skills-based teaching plan or simulation scenario script.
Successful completion of this module will earn you 15 level 7 credits