Therapeutic Management of Neuro-musculoskeletal Pain
This module is aimed at both recently qualified and more experienced therapists and health care practitioners.
Benefits of taking the module to the individual, the organisation and the patient
You will be challenged to re-evaluate your knowledge of pain mechanisms and how to manage them in non- pharmacological ways. You will then apply new knowledge to a case study from your own practice.
Your organisation will benefit by having staff with expertise in the management of pain, with a compassionate, patient-centred approach to assessment and interventions and the ability to share best practice with colleagues
What you learn
You will gain a broad understanding of the dimensions of pain, a critical awareness of non-pharmacological current pain management and an ability to apply pain management principles effectively in practice.
General areas covered
- neurophysiology and nature of pain
- pain theories and models of pain
- factors influencing the assessment and interpretation of pain
- the possible strategies in the management of pain ranging from therapeutic interventions, patient self-management, Motor Imagery, Cognitive Behavioural Therapy, movement and exercise
Skills gained for the workplace, technical skills or academic skills
On this module you will develop reflective skills and advanced clinical reasoning skills.
Unique or interesting features
This module is driven by the need to develop patient-centred practice in the NHS and the importance of managing both acute and long term conditions.
Fees and Funding for 2022/23
|Indicative price for stand-alone module||
Home student: £710
EU / International students: £1,205 - this is part-time study and therefore cannot provide sponsorship for Tier 4.
|How to apply||
To apply for a self-funded place, please complete and return the application form below:
To apply for a Workforce Development / Workforce Transformation funding WDF/WTF funded place, please complete and return the relevant application form below:
- Relevant professional qualification
- If English is not your first language you will be required to submit IELTS scores
The above must be evidenced in your application form
This module is delivered at our Collegiate Crescent Campus
The module is planned to commence delivery in September 2022. Please contact the module leader for further information.
Module assessment is made up of one or more assessment tasks. The assessment task(s) for this module are:
- Viva: typically, a combination of a presentation/demonstration to one or more academics, with discussion, questioning and oral feedback
Successful completion of this module will earn you 15 level 7 credits