Employability is built into your course
Our courses are relevant to the workplace and already have employability built in. So from day one, you're gaining sought-after skills that make you much more employable when you graduate.
And our students agree. The autumn 2012 Student Barometer survey ranked us number one when asking students how satisfied they were that their learning will help them get a good job (out of 28 UK institutions which took part).
Activities on our courses that enhance your employability
Gain transferrable employability skills through
- practical problem solving using real-world examples
- getting involved in project work - including the Venture Matrix
- presentation delivery and report preparation
- completing group work - including peer and group assessment
- leading student projects to gain leaderships skills
Get experience of and insights into the workplace through
- going on external visits
- attending employer presentations and guest lectures from industry professionals
- going on work placements - including year-long 'sandwich' years
- learning in facilities that replicate the workplace
Visit our online prospectus for more information about the content of our courses.
Our accredited courses are sought after by employers
Professional bodies accredit many of our courses, which means they meet industry-recognised quality standards. And some offer exemptions from professional exams to help you qualify faster in your chosen career. Find out which courses are accredited on our online prospectus.
Our teaching is informed by outstanding research
The University's research activities lead to new discoveries and understanding - and we feed this into our teaching. This means your studies are in line with the latest breakthroughs and developments, which will impress employers.
Gain valuable insights from industry professionals
A lot of our staff have experience in their industry, and some are still working within it. This means they can give you a unique insight and share the latest thinking. And that's something employers will value.
Build the skills to make successful job applications
You also learn how sell yourself in the competitive job market. Each course includes
- reflection and action planning to develop your self-awareness and ability to articulate and evidence your skills and achievements - vital when applying for jobs
- practical career management sessions on how to make strong applications and succeed at interviews
- employment advisers who can help plan your career and secure a job
To give yourself an edge over other graduates, you should also get involved in opportunities outside of your course. At Sheffield Hallam, there are loads of ways to do this. Find out how you can get hands-on experience and gain further skills to make yourself more employable.
You can also discover more by visiting your faculty web pages.
- Faculty of Science, Technology and Arts
- Faculty of Social Sciences and Humanities
- Faculty of Health and Wellbeing
- Sheffield Business School
You can read the University's employability statement here.