The food industry is the largest, fastest-moving and one of the most complex sectors that we support at Sheffield Business School.
From manufacturing to retail, start-ups to supermarkets, accessing our food-based education programmes, high-quality facilities and specialist consultancy can give your business a competitive edge.
We offer qualifications in food production, food legislation, food product development and nutrition, food marketing and food manufacturing.
Our food and nutrition expertise has made a real difference to the culture, calibre and competitiveness of many food businesses in the UK.
We’ve worked with large retailers and producers as well as local SMEs to help them recruit and develop staff, develop new products, influence consumer choices and improve manufacturing efficiency.
We also have considerable expertise in public health, from outreach in schools and NHS research projects.
- We worked with Quorn to help them reduce their carbon footprint and save £1m. Read our case study.
- We helped Fosters Bakery in Barnsley to reduce food production waste and save £30,000.
- We supported food start-ups like Fitex and Pura Panela with nutritional labeling and packaging design as part of the Sheffield Innovation Project, which was ERDF-funded.
Our team of food and nutrition experts bring the benefits of sector and industry backgrounds into their teaching and learning practice. Many of our experts are members or fellows of the Institute of Food Science and Technology, registered nutritionists with the Association for Nutrition or affiliated to the Chartered Institute of Marketing. We work closely with the Food and Drink Federation, the National Skills Academy for Food and Drink.
Our students benefit from our research-active department’s close links with industry and participate in co-creating their learning. There are a number of ways you can co-work with our talented, work-ready students, from project-based consultancy to placements. If your business is looking for new thinking, talk to us about how we can help.
- Food Industry Technical Professional Degree Apprenticeship
- BSc Honours Food and Nutrition
- BSc Honours Nutrition, Diet and Lifestyle
- BSc Honours Nutrition and Public Health
- MSc Food and Nutrition Sciences
- MSc Nutrition with Public Health Management
Courses designed for you
We can work with you to design bespoke education programmes for your organisation, from short courses to in-depth study, leading to university qualifications. Talk to us about developing your own version of the degree apprenticeship if you have 15 apprentices or more.
More help and advice for your business
Our food experts offer specialist consultancy and research services to help your organisation with particular challenges. Whether you want to access our state-of-the art facilities or specialist analysis and consultancy, we make it our business to strengthen yours.