We can trace our roots right back to 1843, when the Sheffield School of Design was founded to provide skilled designers to support Britain's industry.
In the early days we were a somewhat smaller institution. Lessons were given in the Bath Saloon, a rented room above the baths on Glossop Road, which is now home to a pub. Lessons had an average attendance of 32 people. We later moved into the purpose-built Sheffield School of Art on Arundel Street.