We currently carry out research relating to the study of cancer, musculoskeletal disorders, neurological diseases and chronic diseases. Staff use a number of 3D cell culture approaches to study disease processes in vitro. Our cell culture laboratories provide facilities for sample preparation, primary cell culture and secondary cell culture and include:
- Sysmex XP-300 Automated Haematology Analyser - Analysis of white blood cells, red blood cells, neutrophils and platelets.
- Coy Hypoxic Glove Box - Culture of eukaryotic cells in a hypoxic environment. This mimics the gas conditions found in mammalian bodies.
- Invitrogen Countess Automated Cell Counter - Rapid enumeration of cells
- BD FACSCALIBUR Flow Cytometer - Enumeration, typing and sorting of cells
- Gallios 10 Channel Flow Cytometer - Enumeration, typing and sorting of bacterial or mammalian cells
- Leica Benchtop Tissue Processor - Processing of tissue samples prior to sectioning and analysis
- Leica Microtome - Sectioning of tissue samples
- Cryostats (x3) - Sectioning of tissue samples
- Cell Culture Suites - For culture of primary and secondary cells (6 laminar flow hoods)