National Insurance and Tax

National Insurance 

In the UK everyone who works and earns money above a certain amount must pay National Insurance. These contributions are taken from your wages before you are paid. The amount you can earn before paying National Insurance changes every year. Take a look at the website to find out more.

How to apply for a National Insurance Number (NINO) 

It is your responsibility, not your employer's, to apply for a National Insurance Number. Apply for this as soon as you can as you often need to be able to write your National Insurance Number on job application forms. 

Call the National Insurance helpline

You may be asked to provide certain information about your passport and visa, address, university and course of study. You will then be asked to complete an application form. If you give the required information then your National Insurance Number (NINO) will be sent to you. Keep the number very safe when you get it. 

Some students may be asked to attend an interview in person to apply for their NINO. If this is the case you will usually go to: Jobcentre Plus, Cavendish Court, 9 Bank Street, Sheffield, S1 2DR. You will be sent a letter containing the appointment details which may ask you to take the following documents with you: 

  • Your passport with visa information 
  • Police registration document (if you have one) 
  • Proof of your Sheffield address
  • A letter from Sheffield Hallam- term time letter or enrolment letter to prove your student status
  • Other official letters, perhaps from your bank
  • Your accommodation contract

If you have any other documents which can prove your identity, take them with you as well.

Income Tax 

Income tax is a tax you pay on your income. It will normally be automatically deducted from your wages. This tax goes to a government department known as HM Revenue and Customs. 

Students who work during term-time as well as vacation time will have tax deducted from their wages. However, if you earn less than the personal allowance during the tax year (the tax year starts on 6 April and ends the following 5 April) you will be able to claim back any tax you might have paid. If you are an international student, take a look at the tax on foreign income page and scroll down to ‘if you work in the UK’.

When you stop working, your employer should give you a P45 which tells you how much you have earned, along with the total amount of National Insurance (NI) and tax payments taken during the current tax year. The P45 should be given to any new employer that you start working for. 

For full and detailed information about Tax and National Insurance Numbers, visit the HM Revenue and Customs website.

For detail on job opportunities, check out our International Students page 

Share this page