Part-time & Campus Jobs

How do I find part-time jobs?

We recognise that part-time jobs are a great way to earn money and gain valuable experience while you are at university.  We support you by advertising vacancies, supporting your search, and getting through the application process. On this page you’ll find advice and sources of part-time jobs, as well as some important legal information about the hours you can work and legal minimum wage.

Where are part-time jobs advertised?

Every year we advertise thousands of opportunities on UniHub. These will generally be opportunities with employers we already have relationships with and who are looking for SHU students to fill their roles. 

You can also look for adverts in local news sources like The Sheffield Star

As well as looking for advertised vacancies, talk to friends, academics, family - tell them what sorts of roles you are looking for, and get their advice on possible employers or sources of vacancies.

Come along to the Work While You Study and Go Global Fairs. You can meet employers and find out about jobs they have on offer during your studies.

If you are an international student, see our information on National Insurance and tax.

Are there jobs on-campus?

Yes! We are really proud of our Campus Job offer at SHU. Campus Jobs are only for Sheffield Hallam students, and as they are on campus you'll probably be working somewhere you know. For most campus jobs you do not need any previous experience. They are advertised on UniHub.

Popular roles include: 

  • Student Ambassadors -  Ambassadors are always needed for open days, job fairs, Clearing, graduation events, and lots more. There are specialist ambassador roles for those who speak different languages, have digital skills or are great at social media and marketing.
  • Student Assistant - assisting with enrolment, supporting the IT team, helping out at events, working in facilities or catering outlets.
  • Casual Research Assistant - working on research projects, usually related to your course/department interests. Attracting a higher rate of pay, these roles are great to hone your research skills.

What can I expect to be paid?

The National Minimum Wage is the minimum amount per hour that an employer must pay a worker. The rates (correct from September) are:

  • £8.72 per hours over the age of 25
  • £8.20 per hour at age 21 -24
  • £6.45 per hour at age 18 to 20

How many hours can I work?

We recommend working no more than 15 hours a week during term time (and for students on a Tier 4 visa it is strictly no more than 20 hours a week)

I’m not from the UK, can I work in the UK?

Until December 31st 2020, EU and Swiss Nationals are allowed to work in the UK and do not need permission. If you have any queries contact the International Student Support Team, and read carefully the information on the UKBA.

If you are an international student on a Tier 4 visa, there are rules about how many hours you can work in term time and during vacations. You can check the rules by visiting 

Is there anything else I should know?

If you work on- or off-campus, take part in Student Employee of the Year.


Share this page