How can I volunteer?
Sheffield Hallam Students' Union
The Students' Union offers a wide variety of volunteering opportunities, and has a team to support anyone interested in getting involved:
- over 100 volunteering opportunities ranging from camera operators to events organisers to youth work
- volunteer in an area linked to your studies or try something completely new
- get involved in one-off projects for a couple of hours each semester
- volunteer weekly or take on responsibility for leading a project
- volunteer as an individual or contribute to a group project
- take part in the Hallam Award, focusing on your career development and leadership skills
Take a look at the Students' Union website, or email them to request more information.
Sheffield Volunteer Centre
Sheffield Volunteer Centre advertises volunteering opportunities on behalf of local charities, and checks to ensure that expenses and appropriate training are offered. Have a look at their monthly bulletin for the latest opportunities. Vacancies are also advertised online through do-it.org.
Volunteering outside of Sheffield
Search and apply online for a wide range of vacancies nationally, using do-it.org. Find your Local Volunteer Centre by searching with your postcode.
Find your own volunteering opportunities
Use a local directory such as the Sheffield Directory to identify organisations related to your areas of interest to approach for opportunities
- Check the organisation's website to see if they offer volunteering opportunities. If volunteering is not mentioned, contact the organisation (preferably by phone or in person) and ask.
- If no opportunities are available at present, there can still be benefits to the conversation. Ask if you can be added to a mailing list, ask if you can visit the organisation to find out more, or arrange work shadowing.
Volunteering abroad allows you to make a contribution to communities and lives in other countries, to develop skills, maybe learn a language, gain independence and confidence, and develop understanding of other cultures. Read more about the benefits of overseas volunteering on Prospects for ideas on finding opportunities abroad. For further details on living and working abroad, go to Prospects country profiles. Also see our Gap Year page.