Global Citizenship Portfolio
The Global Citizenship Portfolio recognises your hard work in developing your intercultural competencies and global outlook while studying at Sheffield Hallam University.
Completing the Global Citizenship Portfolio will help you develop skills and evidence that
- you are able to engage with different values systems wherever you encounter them
- you can communicate effectively across cultures, and in different cultural contexts
- you have understanding of how your actions and those of others can have global implications
See diagram below for the full list of steps you will need to complete.
You will attend in-person sessions on 2 of the following topics* (to be confirmed):
How do we respond to the climate emergency? Is it too late to take effective action? You will discuss the key issues amongst your peers and decide if it really is too late, or if this is a wake-up call to humanity.
Cultural Intelligence, or CQ, measures your capability to relate and work effectively in culturally diverse situations. Your CQ predicts your readiness for working and relating effectively with people from different cultural backgrounds. You will investigate how you acquire cultural intelligence and what happens if you don’t bother!
Exploring Gender-Based Violence
This lecture discuses sexual violence and rape as gender-based crimes, leading to violation of women's human rights. The research presented here focuses on India and further explores the rape perpetrators’ justifications and excuses for committing such crimes. We will summarize the main findings and implications from this ground-breaking research in South Asia's largest prison for understanding rape in India while also elaborating on the feminist theoretical framework used.
*Please note, topics are subject to change.
For your practical intercultural project, you can choose to take part in any of the projects listed below:
- Culture Connect mentor
- Where in the World Intercultural Exchange
- Study abroad (for at least one semester)
- If you are an undergraduate student, the module will be recorded on your exit transcript as ‘Global Citizenship Portfolio’
- If you are a postgraduate student, you will receive the Global Citizenship Portfolio Completion Certificate
Registration for the Global Citizenship Portfolio 2022/23 is now open. Once you have registered, we will send you further information about the steps you will need to complete.
Completing the project can also count as an activity towards achieving The Hallam Award.
Steps of the Global Citizenship Portfolio