You may spend up to 50% of your degree on placement with local healthcare services and providers.
Placements are an opportunity for you to gain practical experience in different settings working with people and patients. You’ll be using the skills and knowledge from your campus learning, and gaining new skills and experiences such as patient communication and professionalism in the workplace.
Placement locations vary depending on your course and where people access services. We work with providers to ensure you experience a range of settings throughout your placements, from A&E to community-based work.
- social work students will work within a mix of local authority, voluntary and private sector settings providing social work services
- nursing students will work within a mix of community placements, hospital and non-hospital settings
- operating department practice students will only work within hospital settings
Placements usually take place in Yorkshire, the Humber, and the East Midlands. However, some students may need to travel further depending on:
- where the University has agreed placement provision with an appropriate provider of health and or social care services
- the range of services offered by the provider, so that you gain the experience you need to meet the requirements of your course
- If your course requires more time on clinical and community placements than others.
Specific placement details are available on our course listings.
Students on placement may be eligible for additional funding to cover travel, accommodation and living costs. Find more information about funding support.
Support on placement
We work together with our placement locations to provide a meaningful and rich experience for our students.
You will have dedicated university contacts who make sure you are meeting your key progress milestones, and that your wellbeing needs are met.
Placement learning tutors will be based at the placement site where you are assigned and will be responsible for checking in with you on a regular basis. There will always be someone you can speak to, so you get the most out of your opportunities.