How we teach
Our distinctive teaching style can be summed up in two words: knowledge applied.
We believe the best way to learn something is to put it into practice. At Hallam, you'll work on real-world projects, and have access to work experience in every year of your course. And you'll be taught by experts who inject lectures with their own cutting-edge research.
We promise you:
- work experience embedded in every year of your course
- the opportunity to take a placement year, resulting in an applied professional diploma
- a digital skills pathway within your course
- a personalised support and employability package
- a course designed with industry experts
- personal development tailored to your chosen course and industry
- a curriculum designed for collaboration and cross-disciplinary learning
What will I be doing?
No two days will be the same. Your day to day learning experiences could include lectures, seminars, workshops, field trips, roleplaying, self-guided research, hands-on projects and more.
Every course is different, so check the 'How you learn' section of our course pages to find out how we teach your chosen subject.
Because you're at the heart of our teaching, your views make a meaningful difference to your course and university experience. Expect to be included in discussions about how you're taught, what you study and the learning spaces you need.
You'll also have a say in our teaching through the Students' Union's academic representation programme, which recruits and supports 1,500 course reps and 80 department reps every year.
Learning from experts
All of our teaching staff are active researchers. So as well as getting hands-on experience in your chosen field, you’ll be exposed to the knowledge and debates that are driving it forwards.