Training and Continuing Professional Development
Real client work
Modules involving real client work, giving students valuable experience include
- HKC Law Clinic – a full legal service enabling students to work on real civil law cases
- street law – working largely in partnership with schools and community groups to research and deliver advice and guidance
- law in practice – one day each week is spent with a legal service provider
- law in practice (international) – working at law firms across the USA on criminal law cases
- HKC Criminal Appeals – working on a real case of an alleged miscarriage of justice
- street law prisons – assisting in the rehabilitation of offenders
- human rights clinic – working with an organisation on an issue of human rights or equality law
- prison clinic – shadowing a legal service provider as they deliver advice to prisoners
- crime simulation module – police procedures and scenes of crime investigation techniques taught by community justice practitioners
Discover more about the modules delivered in our Helena Kennedy Centre for International Justice.
Placements and volunteer opportunities are also available with high-profile partners in police, probation and criminal justice environments.
The Venture Matrix develops employability and enterprise skills by enabling students to complete short, supported projects for organisations throughout South Yorkshire. Our students can get involved in their second and final years.
Training and development opportunities
One week Advanced Professional Certificate in Human Rights Project Management (30 credits)
This one week course, to be run for the first time from the 15-19th May 2017, will offer professional certification in project management skills for people working in, or hoping to work in, the area of human rights projects. Find out more.
Probation officer training
We have been a major provider of probation officer training for over 15 years and have well-established and longstanding relationships with the Ministry of Justice and National Probation Service. We teach and train probation officers across the north of England and have a team of specialist staff with professional practice backgrounds who lead this important area of work. Find out more.
Criminal justice practice training and development
Our staff team who deliver the probation training come from a range of roles within probation and the wider criminal justice arena and have skills and capabilities in areas of offender management, research, skills-based practice and leadership and development. We have the ability to develop and deliver Continuous Professional Development (CPD) courses and welcome the opportunity to work with organisations to develop bespoke awards and programmes to increase the capabilities of professionals and organisations. We have the expertise to provide professional training in a range of areas relating to practice and wider criminal justice issues and are happy to assist.
If you wish to discuss or want to find out more please contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org
These modules provide the areas of knowledge stipulated by the National Offender Management Service (NOMS) as a pre-requisite for Probation Officer training. Please click on the link above to find out more.