Visa information for study exchange destinations

Visa information for study exchange destinations

It is likely that you will need to apply for a visa to study outside of the UK. The process and visa requirements depend on what country you are travelling to and the duration of your stay. Most EU/EEA countries will permit you to study for a period of up to 90 days with a Schengen Visa.

You can apply for your visa at your host country's embassy, consulate, or visa application centre and may have to attend an interview. You may need to apply for your visa and book the embassy appointment via an agent, depending on whether the embassy has outsourced the process. We have provided the application requirements and links to the respective visa agents below for convenience.

Please note, the information in the links below are all from external agencies.

On this page

Australia Austria  Belgium • Canada • Czech Republic • Denmark • France Germany Greece • Hong Kong • Hungary • Italy • Malaysia • Netherlands • Poland • Spain • USA

Jump to list of documents you may need






Czech Republic





Hong Kong










List of potential documents you may need

You may need all or some of the following documents to obtain your visa to study in another country. Please make sure you check early what is required for your country destination. 

• Fully completed Visa application form

• Passport (original): Signed by the holder, issued within the last 10 years with two blank pages. In most cases you should have at least 3 months remaining on your passport. This is compulsory for countries which are part of the Schengen area

• Two recent passport sized photos

• Travel medical insurance: Must be valid for the duration of travel. For Schengen countries, your insurance should cover the entire Schengen Area. The minimum coverage of the policy should be 30,000 euros

• Documents confirming the purpose of the journey: Proof of itinerary, transport reservations and proof of accommodation (compulsory for certain countries, so check guidance carefully)

• Documents confirming applicant’s circumstance (Proof of studies letter) - Students should present a recent, official and signed letter from the University. The letter should state Date of Issue, Name of the Applicant and type of study, number of lessons (hours) per week,
and Attendance Record (request the Student Status Letter from Hallam Help)

• Transcript of records

• Proof of financial means – Recent (last 3 months) UK bank statements showing the balance and credit card account statement, indicating the cardholder’s name and address. The statement must contain information on monthly limit or the spending cap

• Documents for third country citizens: Valid UK Residence Permit (BRP). Permit must be valid at least one month after your departure from the Schengen Area