Being sustainable in our everyday lives is more important than ever! Once you arrive at your placement, there are plenty of ways in which you can affect and encourage sustainability. Employees can get involved in conserving resources, working sustainably, taking initiatives and influencing an organisation's practices. Whether or not your employer has introduced programmes that address environmental concerns, you can still adopt and initiate behaviours that contribute to a decrease of wasted energy and materials.
Read the list below for some of the things you could take into consideration regarding sustainability whilst on placement (you’re probably doing a lot of them already):
- Recycle within workplace- this includes plastic, paper and cardboard
- Carry a reusable water bottle and bag, in case you unexpectedly go shopping- no plastic bag needed!
- Keep printing to a minimum- don’t waste paper, keep things digital
- Print double-sided if you really need a paper copy
- Shut down your computer at night
- Switch off lights when leaving a room or work at night
- Don’t leave taps running
- Make hot drinks together- save water by only boiling the kettle a few times a day
- Turn down the heating- even if it’s by one degree, you’ll be saving a lot of energy
It may even be possible for you to make the introduction of a sustainability programme one of your objectives during your placement, something proactive that you can evidence to show that you have used your initiative. You can discuss this with your tutors at Hallam and line managers at your placement.