Skip to content

  1. Study here
  2. Guaranteed accommodation
  3. Support
  4. Care leavers and estranged students

Care leavers and estranged students

We're committed to supporting students who

  • have been in care at any time before starting university
  • are estranged from their immediate family

Please provide details on your accommodation application form. Disclosing if you’re a care leaver allows us to offer advice and support which might include

  • helping you find a suitable place to live throughout the whole calendar year
  • providing you with a dedicated member of staff to help with various aspects of your student life
  • guiding you to relevant support programmes

We know that students with little or no family support could benefit from accessing support within the University and that you often face additional challenges whilst at university. 

For more information please visit our student support pages or email the care leave coordinator at

Rent Guarantor Scheme

You will be expected to have a guarantor. If this is not an option, you may be required to pay the full annual rent on acceptance of an offer of accommodation, or use the optional guarantor cover that Accommodation Services have arranged which can be purchased and used across allocated halls of residence for rooms with a rent of up to £5400 only. Further information will be provided alongside your room offer. Please be aware that the deadline to apply for the Rent Guarantor Scheme for the 2021/22 academic year is 31 August 2021 for partner halls.  Any cover purchased after this date will only be available for tenancies at Charlotte Court. Contact Accommodation Services for details.

Unite Foundation Scholarship Scheme

The scholarship cycle for 2021/22 has been suspended whilst Unite respond to and absorb the impact of the Coronavirus pandemic on students and university partners.

Further information on the support available to care leavers and estranged students in their year of application to Hallam

Share this page

Cancel event

Are you sure you want to cancel your place on Saturday 12 November?