Care leavers and estranged students
We're committed to supporting students who
- have been in care at any time before starting university
- are estranged from their immediate family
Please provide details on your accommodation application form. Disclosing if you’re a care leaver allows us to offer advice and support which might include
- helping you find a suitable place to live throughout the whole calendar year
- providing you with a dedicated member of staff to help with various aspects of your student life
- guiding you to relevant support programmes
We know that students with little or no family support could benefit from accessing support within the University and that you often face additional challenges whilst at university.
Rent Guarantor Scheme
You will be expected to have a guarantor. If this is not an option, you may be required to pay the full annual rent on acceptance of an offer of accommodation, or use the optional guarantor cover that Accommodation Services have arranged which can be purchased and used across allocated halls of residence for rooms with a rent of up to £5400 only. Further information will be provided alongside your room offer. Contact Accommodation Services for details.
Unite Foundation Scholarship Scheme
The scholarship cycle for 2021/22 has been suspended whilst Unite respond to and absorb the impact of the Coronavirus pandemic on students and university partners.
Visit the SHU Progress website for information on the support available to care leavers and estranged students in their year of application to Hallam