Frequently asked questions

Frequently asked questions

Erasmus logo

In addition to the information below, current Sheffield Hallam students can also find answers to lots of frequently asked questions about study and work abroad on the "Erasmus and exchanges" pages on SHU Space.

How do I apply to come to Sheffield Hallam University on an exchange?

Information for students interested in coming to study at Sheffield Hallam University as an exchange student can be found on our how to apply pages. Please note, in order to study at the University as an exchange student, there needs to be a valid student exchange agreement in place with your home university. A list of our exchange partners can be found on our partners page.

Current Sheffield Hallam students who are interested in studying abroad should speak to their College co-ordinator and students interested in working abroad should speak to their College placement team.

What do I do if I can’t see my home university listed as a partner of Sheffield Hallam University?

If your university is not listed on our partners page, speak to your tutor at your home university to see if they are planning to set up an agreement. However, please note it can take time for agreements to be established so it is unlikely that you will be able to come to the University as an exchange student if your university is not already a current partner. Your tutor will be able to advise you on which universities your home university has agreements with and the options available to you.

Who can I contact for more information on available courses?

To find out more about what you can study as an exchange student at Sheffield Hallam University, please see the what you can study pages on our website.

How will I be assessed for my study/work period abroad?

Students who successfully complete a study period at Sheffield Hallam University will be issued with a full transcript detailing the academic credit they have been awarded upon successful completion of their study period. Full details of how exchange students are assessed can be found on our how you will be assessed page.

Where can I live as an exchange student?

Information about finding accommodation in Sheffield can be found on our accommodation webpages. Once you have been offered a place to study with us as an exchange student, full details of how and when to apply for your accommodation will be provided. Non-standard accommodation (suitable for semester course students and short course students) is available within Devonshire Courtyard. Students should apply online for this accommodation and choose Non-Standard Course (it is helpful if you indicate your anticipated arrival and departure dates
in the 'additional notes' of your application). Alternatively we can give help and advice in seeking private sector accommodation.

What can I do if I have already signed an accommodation contract for a year in Sheffield but now want to do a semester abroad?

If you have already signed an accommodation contract in Sheffield but wish to study or work abroad for a semester, while the contractual responsibility for rent will remain yours until a replacement student has been found to take over the contract you have with your landlord, you should contact Accommodation Services as soon as possible so that they can offer you advice on how and where you may be able to advertise your room to find a suitable replacement student.

What are the semester dates at Sheffield Hallam University?

Full term start and end dates, including details of holidays, can be found in our academic calendar.

Do I need a visa to study or work abroad?

Whether you need a visa depends on the country you are studying or working in and your nationality. If you are a Home or EU student you will not need a visa to study abroad in another EU country. If you are classed as an international student for fees purposes or if you are studying outside the EU you should check the visa requirements for that country as a visa may be necessary. If you are coming to study at Sheffield Hallam University as an exchange student, whether you need a visa depends again on your nationality and the country you are visiting from. Please be aware that it may take up to 8 weeks to get a visa, so apply early. If you need support with your visa application or any other advice please contact the International Experience team by emailing

Cancel event

Are you sure you want to cancel your place on Saturday 12 November?