Skip to content

Support for refugee students

Open days

Register for an open day event and find out what Sheffield Hallam has to offer.

Visit us

Support for refugee students

We welcome applications from refugee students.

If you have refugee status in the UK you will be generally classed as a home student and you will be eligible for student funding. However, in recognition of the additional challenges you may face, if you apply to Sheffield Hallam you also get:

*Refugee students are a priority group for the Student Success Scholarship. As a refugee student starting on an undergraduate course of study for the first time in September 2017 or later, you may be eligible to receive an award of up to £2000 for each year of your course as part of our Student Success Scholarship plus a non-financial support package which has been designed to support your wellbeing, develop your employability and enhance your money management skills. In order to be eligible you must meet the following conditions:

  • You have refugee status or have been granted humanitarian protection, OR you are a dependant of someone who has been granted a refugee status or humanitarian protection
  • You have home student funding status as assessed by Student Finance England
  • You are enrolled on a full-time undergraduate course at Sheffield Hallam University and paying the full tuition fee
  • You submit an application for the Student Success Scholarship at the start of each year of study

Frequently asked questions

How do I evidence my refugee status?

You will need to provide a copy of your residence card. If you already have settled status as a refugee or a person with humanitarian protection, and this is not stated on the card/residence permit, you will be required to provide the Home Office status letter.

How do I find out if I am eligible for student funding?

Your Student Finance Company (i.e. Student Finance England, Wales, Northern Ireland or the SAAS) will decide your funding entitlement. To be classed as a home student you must have been ordinarily resident in the UK for the 3 year period prior to the start of your course. If you are unsure of your status contact your student finance company for further information.

Who can nominate me for SHU Progress?

Any of the following can nominate you, and submit a SHU Progress application form on your behalf:

  • your teacher or support worker in college
  • a social worker
  • your local authority personal advisor
  • Foyer or supported housing support workers
  • someone from a caring charity such as Sheffield Young carers
  • a healthcare professional

See the SHU Progress webpage for full details and to access the nomination form

When do I find out the amount of Student Success Scholarship I will receive?

Undergraduate students with refugee status who meet the eligibility criteria are a priority group for the Student Success Scholarship. You will need to apply at the start of each year of your course, normally before the end of December. Your designated adviser can help with the application if necessary.

When is the student success scholarship paid?

The Student Success Scholarship is normally paid in February.

Do I need to provide evidence of my refugee status when I am applying?

You may be required to provide evidence to the university to help us assess your tuition fee correctly. At enrolment, you may be required to provide evidence of your refugee status to evidence that you don’t require a visa to study in the UK.

Open days

Register for an open day event and find out what Sheffield Hallam has to offer.

Visit us

Related content