The objectives of the Sheffield Hallam University Safeguarding Policy (PDF, 242.6KB) are to ensure:
- that University staff work in a manner to protect children or young people (defined as individuals who are under the age of eighteen years) involved in University activities and adults (including students) who are vulnerable to harm
- that when children and vulnerable adults are engaging in University activities, they can participate in a safe and secure environment and their parents/carers can have confidence in the University
- the roles and responsibilities of University staff are clear in relation to responding to reported incidents of harm or threats of harm to children or young people and vulnerable adults
- there are clear arrangements for reporting concerns and liaising with external authorities where action, advice or support is required to protect children and assist vulnerable adults to secure their safety
- the University is aware of and follows good practice in safeguarding children and vulnerable adults by alerting concerns, referring issues to and liaising with appropriate authorities, and recording and monitoring decisions and actions
Under the policy, the University Secretary is the Lead Safeguarding Officer (Strategic) and accountable for the effective operation of our safeguarding framework. The Group Director for Student and Academic Services is the Lead Safeguarding Officer (Operational), who deals with day-to-day activities in support of the policy.
To report a safeguarding concern, please email email@example.com
If you have any further queries about the policy and/or our approach to Safeguarding, please contact Michaela Boryslawskyj, University Secretary (firstname.lastname@example.org). For operational enquiries please contact Alison Wells, Group Director, Student and Academic Services (email@example.com) or tel: 0114 225 4238.