Everything you need to know...
International: £13,905 or £15,450 (with work experience) for the course
- Build knowledge and intellectual abilities through an academically rigorous course of study, informed by the latest developments.
- Develop skills, competencies and personal attributes relevant to the international business manager.
- Strengthen independent learning, personal responsibility and initiative and develop team working skills.
- Refine abilities in problem solving, communication and the application of information technology.
This course is open to students who have an interest in developing and furthering their knowledge on international business to meet their career aspirations. Students who apply for this course normally have a 2:1 bachelor's degree or suitable work experience.
‘This course provides you with a strong foundation from which to understand the operations of business on a global scale. As part of my dissertation project, I interviewed key political and business figures in Yemen. I was consequently invited to partake in a parliamentary discussion with British MPs about Yemen's civil war. This lead to an opportunity to work for the Foreign and Commonwealth Office.’
Tarek Al-Yafei, MSc International Business Management, 2018 graduate
How you learn
You learn through
- work experience
- traditional formal lectures
- supporting seminars
- problem solving exercises
- case studies
- individual and group presentations
- directed learning activities
- direct engagement with industry
The work experience part of the course includes: business simulations, an international consultancy project, visits to companies and organisations and guest speakers. These opportunities give you the chance to develop your practical skills in a real world setting.
The course features an international consultancy project opportunity, supported by Venture Matrix, where you carry out assessed projects based on real-world business solutions for local organisations.
The project aims to enhance your business awareness and improve your employment prospects. The opportunity to visit and communicate regularly with a company will be particularly beneficial to international students from the point of view of business engagement and real-life practical experience.
You will have access to postgraduate career development initiatives provided by SBS, for example, leadership programmes, management skills workshops, CV writing, networking opportunities and career management activities led by the SBS careers team.
This course prepares you for a career in
- business development
- human resource management
- project management consultancy
- Some students return home to apply their expertise in family firms.
- A small number of the highest academic achievers may continue their education through PhD study.
Previous graduates of this course have gone on to work for
- Phoenix Precision technology
- QPC, Singapore
- Sika Ltd, China
- Sheffield Forgemasters International, UK
- ARGOS logistics, Shanghai
- Nissan, UK
- Brunei Shell petroleum, Brunei
- Pryas Consulting, India
- GlaxoSmithKline Biologicals, Netherlands
Sheffield Hallam University is one of only seven universities in the world to have received EPAS accreditation for an MSc in International Business Management. EPAS is a world-renowned standard for the quality of business or management programmes which have an international perspective.
Where will I study?
You study at City Campus
City Campus is located in the heart of Sheffield, within minutes of the train and bus stations.City Campus map
Adsetts Library is located on our City Campus. It's open 24 hours a day, every day.Learn more
You normally need one of the following
• a good bachelors degree from an approved degree awarding body, university or college, in a business-related field
• professional qualification(s) by examination, recognised as being the equivalent of a bachelors degree in a business-related field with additional evidence to justify the equivalence of the qualification
• a specified diploma in a business-related field that, on satisfactory completion, allows you to follow a course of study for a masters degree
You may also be able to claim credit points which can reduce the amount of time it takes to complete your qualification at Sheffield Hallam. Find out more
Additional information for EU/International students
If you are an International or non-UK European student, you can find out more about the country specific qualifications we accept on our international qualifications page. You can also watch a video guide on how to apply.
For details of English language entry requirements (IELTS), please see the information for 'All students'.
Module and assessment information for future years is displayed as currently validated and may be liable to change. When selecting electives, your choices will be subject to the core requirements of the course. As a result, selections may be limited to a choice between one of two or more specified electives in some instances.
Modules studied may differ depending on when you start your course.
|Module: Contemporary International Management Practice||Credits: 15||
|Module: Dissertation||Credits: 45||
|Module: Global Supply Chain Management||Credits: 15||
|Module: International Consultancy Project 2||Credits: 15||
|Module: International Entrepreneurship||Credits: 15||
|Module: International Financial Management||Credits: 15||
|Module: International Strategic Management||Credits: 15||
|Module: Principles Of International Business||Credits: 15||
|Module: Research Methods In International Business||Credits: 15||
|Module: Generic Research Specialism||Credits: 15||
|Module: Global Human Resource Management||Credits: 15||
|Module: Global Marketing||Credits: 15||
|Module: Managing Global Alliances||Credits: 15||
Fees and funding
Our tuition fee for UK/EU students starting full-time study in 2020/21 is £8,240 for the course without work experience placement or £9,065 with work experience placement.
† If you are studying an undergraduate course, postgraduate pre-registration course or postgraduate research course over more than one academic year then your tuition fees may increase in subsequent years in line with Government regulations or UK Research and Innovation (UKRI) published fees. More information can be found in our terms and conditions under student fees regulations.
Our tuition fee for international students starting full-time study in 2020/21 is £13,905 for the course without work experience placement or £15,450 with work experience placement.
Postgraduate student loans
Up to £10,906 available for UK and EU students on most masters courses.
Additional course costs
This link allows you to view estimated costs associated with the main activities on specific courses. These are estimates and, as such, are only an indication of additional course costs. Actual costs can vary greatly depending on the choices you make during your course.Additional costs for Business and management courses (PDF)
Any offer of a place to study is subject to your acceptance of the University’s Terms and Conditions and Student Regulations.
Responsible for this course?
Find out how you can update the information on this page.