GMPR - Geometric Modelling and Pattern Recognition Research Group
Communication and Computing Research Centre
2005 - present
Original and exciting research in geometric modelling and pattern recognition Fast 3D reconstruction technologies and sensor development
The Geometric Modelling and Pattern Recognition (GMPR) Research Group is part of the CCRC-Communication and Computing Research Centre, and pursues original and exciting research in geometric modelling and pattern recognition with a major focus on
- Fast 3D reconstruction from a single 2D shot using GMPR patented line projection techniques
- 3D and 2D face and object recognition
- AI-based pattern recognition methods
- Image processing and data compression algorithms (2D, 3D, video)
- Pattern recognition for security and network applications
We have developed and patented unique technologies for fast 3D surface scanning with a single, instantaneous shot. The system can use either structured white light or near infra-red.
Our technologies support a range of applications such as security, multimedia graphics and animation, geometrical descriptions of 3D modelling software, verification of shape geometry in industrial processes, medical prosthetics and rehabilitation, reverse engineering and archiving plus much more.
The impact of GMPR research can be summarized as
- Through our patents, we have licensed to companies in Europe and the USA
- The GMPR technologies have been transferred to Small and Medium-sized Enterprises (SMEs) across Europe, through the European funded MARWIN and ADMOS projects
- The social and cultural impacts are evidenced by the 3D scanning of representative items from the Museums Sheffield Metalwork Collection which have been made publicly available on the web, and through the ‘Man of Steel’ community project where a landmark sculpture will form a gateway to South Yorkshire and the Sheffield City Region
Mohammed M. Siddeq - Research Degree Student, GMPR Research Group
Dr Alex Shenfield - Senior Lecturer, GMPR Research Group
Professor Marcos Rodrigues - Head of GMPR Geometric Modelling and Pattern Recognition Group
Dr Deepayan Bhowmik - Lecturer, GMPR Research Group
Dr Alan Robinson - Invited Research Associate, GMPR Research Group
Abdusslam Osman - Research Degree Student (Alumni 2014), GMPR Research Group
Mariza Kormann - Invited Research Associate, GMPR Research Group
Dr David Day - Senior Lecturer, GMPR Research Group
Dr David Cooper - Senior Lecturer, GMPR Research Group
Dr Bernardi Panggono - Senior Lecturer in Computer Network Engineering
Dr Huilian Liao – Lecturer in Electrical Engineering, GMPR Research Group
CENTRIC - CENTRIC is a multi disciplinary and end-user centric research body, located...
GMPR 3D Scanning Technologies - The GMPR research group is focused on 3D image acquisition and understanding...
GMPR ADMOS - Advertising Monitoring for Outdoor Media Analytics - The research project is developing a compact monitoring device that can be...
GMPR Man of Steel - The Man of Steel is a metallic sculpture created by Steve Mehdi, a local...
GMPR MARWIN - Welding by robots has experienced a vigorous upsurge in recent years with an...
GMPR Rapid 3D Digitization of Museums Sheffield Metalwork Collection - The project digitized and developed interactive 3D content for the...