Top tips for Handshake
- Log in to Handshake using the ‘Current SHU Students Login’ button to claim your Handshake profile
- Complete your Handshake profile – this is the first thing employers see, so is important it is 100% completed with a professional photo, as well as details of your work experience, professional interests, skills, and volunteering and extracurricular activities
- Download the Handshake app – this allows you to easily search for jobs on your phone
Sandwich Placement Support Blackboard site
Each academic department at the University has a dedicated Sandwich Placement Support Blackboard site – you will find yours listed in organisation sites when you log in to Blackboard. Can’t find it? Contact the Work Experience Team or your Employability Adviser.
Get started with our placement seeking checklist
- Access Career Centre 360 to work on your CV and learn about potential options for your future career
- Find opportunities on Handshake or on external sites
- Research the placement providers you are interested in
- Meet your Employability Adviser to help you talk through your options and help you apply
- Apply, keep searching and ask for help
Contacting placement providers
Emailing and phone calling potential placement hosts can be difficult if you have not done this before. Our Employability Advisers can offer help and guidance with this, or there is information on our Careers and Employability website.
The Careers Fairs at Hallam are a great opportunity to speak to companies one-on-one to find out about placement opportunities directly from them. This also allows you to gain invaluable insight into companies, helping you to tailor applications for placements.
Look for upcoming fairs and events on Handshake
'It's not what you know, it's who you know' - make it known that you're looking for a placement. Utilising connections you may have with family, friends, acquaintances or previous companies you’ve worked for is a popular source of placement. Although, you will need to remember that all placements found are checked to be suitable and compliant with course requirements. It is also worth noting that Sheffield Hallam does not allow you to work for immediate family.
Placement criteria and eligibility
This varies between disciplines and subject areas, so for specific requirements around placement criteria and eligibility speak to your academic tutor or course leader.