Health and social care placements
Welcome to the Health and Social Care Placement Learning Information website
Welcome to the Health and Social Care Placement Learning Information website. As part of their professional education, all students will spend part of their course on placement. On placement, students gain experience, learning and developing professional skills under supervision to meet course and professional and statutory regulatory body (PSRB) requirements.
On this website you will find advice, guidance and supportive resources to help you make best use of placement learning experiences. You can find out what to expect on placement, how to prepare for it as well as what support and help is available during your placement. Please explore the site: read the guidance in the Policy Library, find general information about placement learning expectations and preparation and student support from the Placement Information section and find information specific to your profession and course in the Profession Information section. You can find contact details for key university staff through Contact Us link if you need advice.
Integrated Care - Integrated Learning
You can find an overview of what students are learning and experiencing in each year of their Health and Social Care programme by visiting the Provider Information section in the Profession Information webpages for your profession. We are making very clear links with the interprofessional modules for students' practice placements. We hope this information will help guide you to support varied opportunities in order to consolidate students' learning whilst they are with you on their practice placements.
All students on placement
Students are advised that they must follow their placement provider's policies and guidelines at all times while on placement.
Students are also reminded of the University's placement learning policies and guidance, including the guidance on Travelling to and from placement safely.
If you have a genuine emergency outside normal university working hours, you can use the emergency central number on +44 (0)114 225 8888.
Students are advised that they must follow their placement provider's policy and guidance in relation to Covid-19.
If you have symptoms of covid-19 (link to external website), or a positive lateral flow test, or suspect that you may have covid-19, YOU MUST NOT ATTEND YOUR PLACEMENT.
- You can find advice here from the UK Government on Living safely with respiratory infections, including COVID-19 (link to external website) and updated guidance on Testing for Coronavirus (link to external website)
- Visit the NHS website for information about what to do if you have Coronavirus (COVID-19) or symptoms of COVID-19 (link to external website).
- Please refer to the UK Health Security Agency Guidance - COVID-19: Managing healthcare staff with symptoms of a respiratory infection (link to external website)
- Please refer to UK Department of Health and Social Care - Infection prevention and control in adult social care settings (link to external website)
If you attend your placement while you have symptoms of covid-19 you will put service users/ clients/ patients and staff at risk of covid-19 infection. Please read the requirements for safe practice and avoiding harm to service users/ clients/ patients in the professional codes of conduct and ethics for your future profession:
- Health and Care Professions Council (link to external website)
- Nursing and Midwifery Council (link to external website)
- Royal College of Physicians, Faculty of Physician Associates (link to external website)
- Social Work England (link to external website)
Covid-19 Immunisation - Important advice for all students in relation to placement learning
A significant number of our placement providers expect their staff to be fully vaccinated against Covid-19 and these placements require all students who attend placement in their organisation also to be fully vaccinated. Any delays in ensuring that you are fully vaccinated could prevent you from commencing a placement.
Students are advised that they must follow their placement provider's policies and guidelines at all times while on placement in relation to Covid processes and reporting.