The STEM Ambassadors programme is recognised as one of the largest, most impactful STEM support programmes for young people in the UK. The programme works with young people, educators, schools, and non-school groups to engage young people with STEM subjects and careers. There are currently approximately 30,000 active STEM Ambassadors who volunteer their time. The STEM Ambassadors network is coordinated by 17 local STEM Ambassador Hubs, situated throughout the UK.
Whilst previous work has included an element of examining influences of STEM Ambassadors upon young people’s attainment in STEM subjects, it is not the intention of this study to evaluate such topics. The main aims will be to understand:
• What young people regard as effective and constructive STEM inspiration, enrichment and enhancement activities.
• What experience they have of STEM Ambassadors within their education or other settings.
• What effect they consider STEM Ambassadors to have had on their interest and engagement with STEM, at different ages.
• How the programme can easily and reliably obtain feedback from young people about their experience of the programme and future needs.
• What might the STEM Ambassador programme do differently and/or better to improve the impact that it has on young people. These are not exclusive areas for investigation, and it is likely that each theme will have a small set of sub-themes to be explored with young people.