We have an excellent reputation for innovative and inspirational teaching. We have been developing our expertise with teachers and learners of English since 1980 and we pride ourselves on developing the skills our students need.
English language courses
We know settling into life in the UK can be challenging when English is not your first language. Every year, we work with about 1,000 students from all over the world to develop their English language skills. Our courses are inspected and accredited by the British Council, and we continually develop our courses to ensure they are meeting the needs and expectations of our students. We run a series of pre-sessional courses for students who need to improve their English language proficiency before they begin their main studies. For students studying at SHU, we offer a range of non-credit Academic Language development sessions and work with some departments to offer sessions focussing on specialised language in disciplines. On some undergraduate courses, we also offer credit-bearing Academic Language modules.
English language teacher education
We offer courses both to experienced language teachers and those who have never taught before. Our varied and flexible teaching methods ensure our students get multiple opportunities to practise, observe and learn from different classroom settings.
- We are extremely well established in English language teaching and teacher education with more than 35 years’ experience.
- Several of our academic staff have PhDs, specialising in a wide range of areas of education and language.
- All teaching staff have both professional and academic qualifications as well as international experience.
Reputation for excellence
We work closely with leading associations and organisations in the TESOL sector to ensure our continued excellence.
- Many staff members have authored books and papers on language teaching and language teacher education.
We are members of the International Association of Teachers of English as a Foreign Language, the British Association of Applied Linguistics, and BALEAP (the global forum for EAP professionals).
All our English language courses are accredited by the British Council.
Our research typically focuses on language, learning, teaching and teacher education, including second language reading, language teaching methodologies, academic writing and teaching practice. We work closely with practitioners to develop their own research in aspects of TESOL appropriate to their own teaching contexts in order to improve classroom-based practice and enhance language learning in a wide range of contexts. Our work is shared with local, national and international audiences through conferences, seminars, guest lectures and publications.
Our international connections
- Our multilingual staff have considerable international experience with many of them having worked extensively overseas.
- We have a reputation for fast responses to overseas enquiries and course design.
- International students have praised our flexible, learner-focused teaching methods including options for online distance learning.
- We work collaboratively with partners to co-design and deliver a range of in-country language and teacher development courses.
- After graduation, you join our network of graduates and you can keep in touch through Alumni Connect and via our Facebook site.