We know that many of our students and their families are being affected by the current cost of living, so we’ve put together a range of support to help.
Scholarships and funding
We’re raising the financial support available, with some funds doubling to support students most in need.
- We’ve increased the value of all awards by at least 5% via our Student Success Scholarship scheme, which is designed to help you succeed at Sheffield Hallam. It’s open to UK undergraduate students and includes financial awards of up to £2,100.
- The minimum amount you can receive from our Hardship Fund has been raised by over 60% to provide financial support if you’re experiencing unforeseen financial difficulties.
- We’ve more than doubled the budget for the International Emergency Fund to support international students who have circumstances they could not have planned for.
- We've doubled the funding available to care leavers, carers and estranged students through our Access fund.
- If you’re a new international student with dependent children, we’re offering a House Hunting Grant to support you while you look for housing in Sheffield.
- If you’re aged 18-21 you can benefit from 80p bus travel in South Yorkshire.
- Single bus and tram fares in South Yorkshire have been capped, so you'll pay a maximum of £2 for any one-way journey.
- We're freezing prices in most of our catering outlets and offering deals such as a £2 lunch box and free porridge or cereal when you buy a hot drink.
- On Wednesday 25 January, Wednesday 22 February and Wednesday 29 March, you will be able to purchase food and drink at Hallam Central, The Granary and all Hallam café venues for £1 (up to 3 items).
- There are hot water and microwave stations available at selected buildings across campus.
- If you’re unable to afford food, toiletries or other essential items, you can submit a request for a £30 Tesco voucher.
Health and wellbeing
- If you feel anxious about your financial situation or it’s affecting your mental health, you can get support from our Wellbeing Team.
- Support for students experiencing period poverty.
- We’ve suspended library fines, so you’ll no longer incur any late fees.
- You can now access the top 100 eBooks for free, meaning you won’t need to pay for core textbooks.
- If you're a placement student on your undergraduate placement year, we’ve expanded our Placement Bursary scheme to ensure those who need it receive financial help at the start of their placement while awaiting their first wage.
- We also have a free learning platform, Blackbullion, which allows you to take control of your money and make better financial decisions.
Sport and fitness
- We’re offering eligible students support to take part in student sport through a Sport Hardship Fund in conjunction with our Students’ Union.
We've frozen Team Hallam membership fees and you can now split your payment into two instalments.
- You can access all sport fitness and social sessions or the gym for £1 on 25 January, 22 February and 29 March.
* All funding support is assessed on eligibility
We also offer support and advice on managing your money and appointments with an adviser if you’d like to discuss your situation.
To find out more visit our student funding pages or visit the Students' Union for advice and support.